Calendar Photo Posting Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calendar Photo Posting Info

Let us please save this thread for XSive riders who are submitting, or would like to submit photos for the 2008 XS / XJ calendar. If you want to post a photo of your bike not for publication, please go to HobbyMans “Bike Photos” thread. For continuing ideas for the calendar, please go to my thread “want your bike photo on a calendar?”

I have created a special email account just for sending photos and information for publication. That address is: XS11photos@sbcglobal.net

Please send files of at least 1200 to 1500 KB. These will be full sized shots for a 4 to 5 MB digital camera. Each candidate should send at least one shot that is intended for the big photo at the top of the month, as well as 2 to 3 smaller shots of interesting or unique details that you would like featured. Two examples that come to mind: DragXS11’s LED brake light that spells out “XS11,” and Maximan’s extra gas tank. These can have you, the rider, in the shot if you like. Please include commentary on the modifications and brief history of your bike, and its name if you have given it one.

Here are some tips on photography.
    Try to avoid “back lighting.” Use “fill in flash” whenever possible so that the details of your bike can be seen clearly if it is backlighted. (The picture I posted is a good example of a photo that needed fill in flash. It could have been corrected with “burning” in PhotoShop, but my antiquated computer was being ornery, and I wanted to get it posted!)
    It is some times helpful to use a large sheet of white poster board or other reflective surface to reflect light back onto your bike to fill in those dark shadowy areas.
    Avoid a cluttered setting. Be especially conscious of the background. There is nothing as distracting as having a tree growing out of your bikes headlight or gas tank! Also, the angle is a consideration. A straight on side shot can be good in that it shows all of the details very well, but a ¾ frontal, especially if shot from a low or high vantage point can add an interesting perspective.
    I can “dodge and burn,” crop, and do a certain amount of color and contrast adjustment in PhotoShop, but the better the original photo the better.
    If you are not into digital, or have a really killer film or slide shot of your bike that you would like to submit, let me know: we will work something out.

If you have a “rat bike’ or a bike like mine that gets ridden more than it gets polished, don’t hesitate to enter photos: I want at least one or two. And I hope I’m not putting people of by making it sound like I expect professional photographs. HobbyMan’s thread has many excellent shots that would do nicely.

Those riders who would like your birthdays noted can send pictures that include your own bods posed with your bikes.

Please label your photos as calendar, detail, or birthday, just to make sure there is no confusion.

If you have questions or think I’ve missed something, let me know here. I’m really looking forward to this, and I hope this turns out to be fun for everyone.
    E.Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Any deadlines for submissions? Need some good weather to get some good pics (with my newly designed seat that should be arriving shortly)!
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

Comment

The deadline hasn't been set as yet, but I don't see any reason to make it until at least the end of April. I look forward to seein' whacha got!
      E.Liberty

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

DEADLINE!?!?

APRIL,......APRIL !?!?!?!

Geez, I won't be able to get the mods I have planned to do on Godzilla done by then, not to mention find a nice place to take some primo shots!?!?!

Do you really need 8 months leeway to get them printed??
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Dealine?

No, Topcat, not to get them printed, but to get them in, take votes on who gets featured etc. could take some time. Although there is a lot I could do in advance without the feature photos, I don't really want to have to do a lot of work at the last minit... or should I say month!
          Also, I wouldn't mind getting the calendars done two or three months ahead of 2008 so that we can have them available for distribution.
          But fear not: I just threw out April as being the very earliest deadline that I would consider. How does June sound?

By the way, thanks for being the first to send pictures to the new email account.
          E.Liberty

Comment

Working...
          X