Back Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Again

OK.......My Bad.......It’s been 3+ years since I've been on this 4M and I hate to admit it but..... I forgot my username/password...duh

Of course I still have the 80 XS1100 Special and have since added to the stall the following:
    20004 Yamaha Road Star Warrior
    2003 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

Now I need to reacquaint myself with the XS1100 world due to the fact that I'ts developed a fuel leak (somewhere below the left carb, not hoses I checked) and only running on 3 cylinders.

I'm thinking about removing the air box (rubber carb boots are all cracked anyway)and add K&N filters and at the same time fix/solve the fuel leak, but I've always been leery of working on the carbs/jets seeing I've never done carb work before. But at this point I've got nothing to loose "It's not running well at all"

Sorry for the Long story............
    So I'm looking for help guidance or at the least a point in the right direction before I start pulling stuff apart.

Thanks in advance,

Signed An Old/New Member

document your settings before you start tearing things apart....I find it useul to get a starting point once everything is back together. tear them down, clean the hell out of them, put em back on and sync em .....voila......done....right?
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Are you sure the one cylinder isn't running? Or, could it just be very rich from a stuck or bad float valve also causing the leak? Just the first thing that popped into my head.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Could be...I just used that as an expession. It runs like **** and won't idle on it's own.

Comment

Xcuse me while I whip this "info" out!

Mongo,

Welcome back! Well, since you have a fairly full stable, like you said the XS11 wasn't ridden much. So...it sat, the gas probably got gummed up. If it was parked on the sidestand instead of the centerstand, the crud flows to the low side, the #1 carb!!

Don't let the intakes fool ya. They can look badly cracked on the outside, but still be perfectly intact on the inside, double walled! To save $$, folks will just coat the outside with black RTV to cosmetically cover the cracks. Check the surface where they attach to the heads. Rubber can get dry rotted there, may need to remove old rubber from underlying metal, and then use gasket and sealer when reinstalling?

The carbs aren't as mysterious as they seem, just want to be careful with disassembly with regards to the float pins, easy to break the posts. There are tech tips about many aspects of cleaning the carbs. Leave them together on the bank brackets. DO NOT DIP them(you'll damage the rubber shaft seals), just use plenty of spray cleaner and compressed air...and eye protection.

Find the tips from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the links in the yellow column.

When 1 carb is flooding, it will really mess up the performance of the other cylinders. Hopefully you drained the old gas and put in NEW along with Sea Foam or similar carb cleaner?! Gas looses 1 octaine point per month of sitting. If you had regular 84, in less than a year, it's below 75, and gas won't work/fire at that level!

Don't forget to edit your profile to state your model/year of XS11 to make future help requests easier and more accurate. Don't forget the petcocks, either vacuum controlled for Standard, or the Octopus for the Specials along with the petcocks. Inline filters a must! Good Luck, let us know.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X