1979 XS11 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 XS11 Special

Asuming an nice bike that needs nothing what would it be worth? Does milage matter if condition is good? I checked Kelly Blue Book and it says $1,200.00 top retail. Sorry if this is in the wrong place as I was unsure where to post this.
    1993 ZX11D
    1979 CBX
    1973 Z1
    2001 ZX12R

worth?

What one is willing to pay.........

mro
    btw
    did pay two-fifty for a non runner 81 special.
    only because wanted the parts.
    But might ride it instead.

Comment

Hey David,

Old rule of thumb was $1.00 per CC. But if it was truly NOT needing anything, like carb overhaul, replacing old tires, battery, fluid changes, brakelines bled or new pads, etc., then $1,200. might be a decent price, depending on actual mileage.

Check out the MISC Forum, look for thread "What to look for in neglected XS11", and you'll have a better idea of how to Grade the bike and what it MIGHT need!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Don't forget the nostalgic value. Its like buying classic cars. They don't make them any more. If you paint is OEM perfect or just perfect and everything else is good, it will be worth more. Also supply and demand: They don't make them any more so if more people learn about them and want them, and it is a good riding season, it will be worth more.
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Wonder why some bikes like Honda CBXs, Z1s and such are so much higher? To me a XS11 is in the same league as those bikes. I mean wouldnt a cherry XS11 bring $2,500.00? A nice RD350 can bring that much. You have to pay $3,000.00 for for a new Ninja 250! To me a XS11 is a classic muscle bike like the others and may even be a better bike than the others. Where am I going wrong? I looked on E-Bay and didnt see any/
          Last edited by ZXDavid; 01-16-2007, 11:16 PM.
          1993 ZX11D
          1979 CBX
          1973 Z1
          2001 ZX12R

Comment

supply and demand

XS11's started out as a "cheep" hobby for me and enjoy tinkering.
            Also like to ride when ever I can.
            Started little over year ago and this site has grown by a full third

Good running XS's have been going for $1,200.00 and one I saw went for $2,300.00. Have seen "asking" prices around here in CA lately of $1,600 to $3,500.00 but don't know what they sold for.

Personally look for $100.00 to $150.00 range, does not need to be running but prefer most all parts on it. (have 3 standards, a MNS, one special and a hot rod XS) If I put a dollar amount on what I've got in acquiring the hot rod, plus getting it running would be about $1,600.00 which is cheep, er ....... I mean thrifty er.....

Want a premo XS??? Check out http://www.merriamcycle.com/

or wait, and sooner or later will be selling one of mine

mro

Comment

Saw a CBX bid to over $9K on Ebay. Reserve never met... ah, with like 2 miles on it. Guess that doesn't really count, huh?
              KZ1000's seem to be more popular, have more aftermarket options, and go for more money than xs11's. Partly cuz I think they and the Suzuki's were the race bikes of the day. Dunno, I was like 2.
              1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
              1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
              1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
              2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
              2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

cbx

I know the guy who had the Honda CbX he has 13 of them 6 with 0 miles never rode . He has over a 100 bikes all mint he is several old rd 's you guys would drool to see his bikes i sure id. Mike

Comment

Value

I bought mine 5 yeasrs ago for $900.
                  It was (is) a rat. Still has rust, but I reupostered the seat ($150) had the gas tank epoxy coated ($?) had a few wiring problems ... had 28,000 miles when I bought it, has 86,000+ now... dosn't burn a drop of oil, and is the most trouble free bike I have ever owned... will leave a 1250 Harley in the dust, and cruz at 80 mph all day long. Let's see, that must be worth...
                  E.Liberty
                  Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                  I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
                  X