Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rememberance of early 80's Yamaha Ad Campaign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rememberance of early 80's Yamaha Ad Campaign?

Does anyone recall a Yamaha ad campaign that started in the early 80's with the slogan of "Don't follow anyone?" Presumably it was in response to Honda's "Follow the Leader" campaign. I can't seem to find very many references to "Don't Follow Anyone" or "The Way it Should Be" relative to Yamaha advertising on the web, or in the newsgroups.

When the ad campaign came out, in the early 80's, I think, it was some of the best motorcycle advertising I'd ever seen, then or since (simple visual themes focusing on the bike and rider, cool and memorable music with lyrics incorporating the slogans, and a rebuttal to Honda as good as Avis's "We're #2, so we try harder" rebuttal to Hertz).

Does anyone have any sources of radio or TV commercial recordings, theme song lyrics, information about the artists, etc., for this campaign?

You might try e-bay for print advertising. Lots of mag and print ads for sale there. May even find a recording or video, ya never know.
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
    The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

I have (or have seen) almost every ad for XS11's there is, do not recall the 'don't follow anybody' line. Must have started after the XS's line was done (81) We have some ads here on XS11.com, but not all of them.

http://www.xs11.com/pix/promos.shtml
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion to check out E-Bay.

"The Way It Should Be" does appear in one of the ads at the xs11.com site:

http://www.xs11.com/pix/xj11-04.jpg

Stills from one of the commercials for the ad campaign appear at:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S.../7908/seca.htm

The commercial features a Seca Turbo outrunning a Porsche. The
        site notes that it was a "Chiat Day" commercial and that the rider
        was Kenny Roberts.

Snippets of 20-year-old memories I have of the ad campaign include:

- A commercial-length theme song with lyrics like:

"Don't follow anyone, that's the way it should be,
        Don't follow anyone, that's the Yamaha (creed?)

Yaaaamaaaahaaaa... the way it should be."

played over scenes like a racing bike going through turns and slaloms.

- Another commercial with the Seca Turbo with a rider all in black
        stopped at a light and being checked out by a driver in a car.
        The announcer says, "If you think the Seca Turbo look good
        standing still, just wait 'till the light turns green," then the
        camera switches to a close-up of the traffic signal's red light
        turning off and the notes of the music corresponding to "The
        Way It Should Be" bringing the commercial to fade.

- I also seem to recall a radio commercial with the theme music.

Comment

The way it should be!!!

I know this is an old thread but I saw it and couldn't resist. I am twenty eight years old and a very proud owner of an '80 XS Special. Now, my Dad bought this bike new for his eighteenth birthday on March 15th. If you avid owners can recall, in the same month and year, (I believe it was) Cycle World magazine named the XS Bike of the year. Also in that year Yamaha started the campaign, "The Way It Should Be." Anway, when my dad purchased this beautifull machine he struck a deal with the salesman and was able to get the banner that was hanging in the store. The original black with gold letters and gold tassles hanging from the bottom. Long before I adopted the bike I basically stole the banner from him, it still exsists. I love this bike and it's history with all my heart and want to see more of them go on living for generations to come...
          Last edited by jtbwings; 04-19-2011, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of the banner? That would be neat to see. Welcome to the forum!
            68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
            76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
            79 special (skull bike)
            79 special (parts bike w/title)
            79 special
            80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
            81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
            81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
            80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
            81 650 maxim
            81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
            88 Zx 600r (Sold)
            01 Gz 250

Comment

Welcome JTB, I would love to see that banner and the bike of course.

It is very cool that ou have and know that much history about your bike!!
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Howdy jtbwings and welcome.
                Nice piece of history you have there. Would indeed love to see a pict.

Wow, looking at the original date on this thread, we are gettin' old!

Comment

Wayne...

Based on your comments, I was just noticing your age - about same as my younger sister's - have you been in Shenandoah a long time? We went to McCullough back when it was the High School and Shenandoah was just a subdivision. Interested if we may have crossed paths. Her name was Christine (Chrissy) Hughes.

Anyway - hope you get another ride soon.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Dont think i know the name. I have been in Shenandoah for a tad over 4 years now. Great place to raise a family.

Once my daughter gets a little older i will be getting another bike. She is only 3 now so it will be a bit yet.

Cheers

Comment

Yuppers I remember that add campaign...I can still remember the song on a square vinyl( I think) advertising the Venture. Catchy tune with a guy(manly type) talking about the bike.
                      Don't follow any one...... Yamaha( the chorus)
                      Got a free USA map with the mailing also.
                      Think that was back in'82
                      '80 XS1100 SG
                      Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

The Way It Should Be.

So I need to dig through my storage for the banner. I recently moved and everything that was in my garage was put in storage. I think I have the week end off so I will try to find it, I really want you all to see it. BTW a little hint, the "Black and Decker fix" for a slipping second gear, is not the real fix. There is a washer between second and fifth gear that really should be on the other side of fifth (the small gear). It's a factory flaw. I have done one out of frame and one in. Both took me about six hours. Something that helps, remove the kick starter gear. Anyway that is just my tip for the day. HUGE difference. Never slip second again and the tranny shifts noticably smoother.

Comment

The only ad campaign I remember back in the 80's (I think) was "Yamaha...Go your own way."
                          1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                          2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by xsroadrunner View Post
                            The only ad campaign I remember back in the 80's (I think) was "Yamaha...Go your own way."
                            I thought it was Don't Follow anyone
                            One of us is getting old
                            Dang..first mistake I made this year......
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Originally posted by jtbwings View Post
                              BTW a little hint, the "Black and Decker fix" for a slipping second gear, is not the real fix. There is a washer between second and fifth gear that really should be on the other side of fifth (the small gear). It's a factory flaw. I have done one out of frame and one in. Both took me about six hours. Something that helps, remove the kick starter gear. Anyway that is just my tip for the day. HUGE difference. Never slip second again and the tranny shifts noticably smoother.
                              OK, so Second gear is a stationary gear on the shaft. It is bound on one side by a machined shoulde rin the shaft, the other by the large C clip. The washer swap we mention often is perhaps what your refering to, take the washer from the 5th gear side and move it to the shoulder side of second gear, moving second closer to 5th. The smaller gear here is 5th, but it moves by the shift fork, so there is no washer to be installed there.

It has been debated by many that simply moving that washer will resolve the second gear slipping issue. However, many also experience this issue with first gear. There is no washer involved for first, so no way to move it.

Also, you can purchase new gears for the bikes, and they all have the back cut on the gears that the dremel fix applies to them.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X