To all my ROO friends down under

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all my ROO friends down under

To all Aussies...is this true? If so I'm immigrating to the land down under!

Excerpts from an on going debate in Australia.
    This is true and can be checked at
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/australia.asp

Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks.
    A day after a group of mainstream Muslim leaders pledged loyalty to Australia and her Queen at a special meeting with Prime Minister John Howard, he and his Ministers made it clear that extremists would face a crackdown. Treasurer Peter Costello, seen as heir apparent to Howard, hinted that some radical clerics could be asked to leave the country if they did not accept that Australia was a secular state, and its laws were made by parliament. "If those are not your values, if you want a country which has Sharia law or a theocratic state, then Australia is not for you", he said on National Television.

"I'd be saying to clerics who are teaching that there are two laws governing people in Australia : one the Australian law and another Islamic law that is false. If you can't agree with parliamentary law, independent courts, democracy, and would prefer Sharia law and have the opportunity to go to another country, which practices it, perhaps, then, that's a better option", Costello said.

Asked whether he meant radical clerics would be forced to leave, he said those with dual citizenship could possibly be asked to move to the other country. Education Minister Brendan Nelson later told reporters that Muslims who did not want to accept local values should "clear off. Basically people who don't want to be Australians, and who don't want, to live by Australian values and understand them, well then, they can basically clear off", he said.

Separately, Howard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying he supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.
    Quote: "IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT. Take It Or Leave It. I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians."

"However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the 'politically correct' crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to Australia ." "However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand." "This idea of Australia being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity. And as Australians, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle."
    "This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom"

"We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society .. Learn the language!"
    "Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented. It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture."
    "We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why. All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us."
    "If the Southern Cross offends you, or you don't like "A Fair Go", then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet. We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from. By all means, keep your culture, but do not force it on others.
    "This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom,
    'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'."

"If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted."

Some of it.

Yes, some of it is true. There was a bit of a fight a while ago from the muslim community that lead to this. Basically some Muslim clerics made a few public statements that caused an uproar.

Some Australians retaliated in the australian way and took the piss out of them by redistributing some Danish cartoons based on Muslims.

This of course outraged the Muslim community. A lot of other stuff led to some violent confrontations.

Government then made a statement or two about fitting in to Multicultural Australia.

Some links to real news storys at the time.
    The start
    Costello
    Jones-Costello
    Beazley

There are many more stories but this is just a few.

Can we evict them?? Probably not.

Can we stop em coming? Maybe.

On a final note, Australians are getting sick of immigrants (not just Muslims) coming to australia who can't speak the language and don't integrate easily.

Hence the new Australian Logo.

Note - image has been altered by moderator. Ken Talbot
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

That is Funny!
      Thanx to Goon for posting that pic and
      Thanx to Ken Talbot for seeing the entertainment value in this and using sensorship in moderation.

That is just too funny!
      Hence the new Australian Logo.

Now can I put pics of girls with flowers painted on there boobs here?
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

I fell much the same way.

100 years ago when my grandfather immigrated to the US he "assimilated".

Then it was required to learn English...promise loyalty to the constitution...and ASSIMILATE!

This did not mean that you forsake your culture...but that you put America first. And this is what he did.

Today these requirements are not being enforced. And I fear in this idiotic effort to accomodate every stinking culture on the planet ...we will loose our own cultural identity.

However I must disagree with your graphic. With a landmass roughly the same as the US and only 30 million people Australia is still in pretty good shpe populatio wise. It is we that are FULL (at a whoping 300 million)...spilling over the brim...and nothing is being done to slow it down.

Comment

Thanks for the selective editing Ken, Thought I may have crossed a line there but had to put it there as it is funny as F***.

MaxiMan, Not wanting a political or demographic debate but climate plays a large difference in populatable land over here. A large proportion of Australia is uninhabitable due to water. I once was amazed watching a documentary on Vegas and exactly what it took to keep the place running with water electricity etc.

How does it work? basically money.

An interesting site to compare the two is Australian Geoscience Compare

An interesting stat is the arable land between US and Australia.

The next main factor is electricity. T

Energy
          Hydro electricity is limited and nuclear is non existent. Most electricity is coal/gas powered.

With this and constant water restrictions we are reaching limits that are hard to sustain.

BTW, While I don't necessarily agree totally with the graphic, I have no objection to sending the new fellas out to the non arable areas to eke out their livings. Who knows, maybe another Vegas in the making in the simpson desert.
          1981 XJ550RH
          1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
          1978 XS1100F X Streem
          1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
          Jet/Mod Calculator
          Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

I tend to partially agree. Toss out the ones that bother the others... bombings tend to be pretty loud and quite annoying, especially if someone gets hurt. I bet the inquisition was not all that pleasant either.
            But on the same note, I would toss out every christian bugger that is too annoying. I mean cmon.... Sunday morning, 8 am, and all the bloody churches bells start ringing like mad. What the f*** is that all about?! I got a bloody hangover and want to catch some shuteye. I guy dressed in a robe with a towel around his head does not bother me. Neither a penguin-like nuns. So where to start?

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Roo Friends -

I cannot agree with all the comments above - some are a little too far to the right for me...... however when god or the belief in same is used as a basis for normality I become concerned.
              There seems to be one muslim cleric making the remarks that have so angered many, and the muslim community seems to be distancing themselves from him. Indeed there have been suggestions that he may be replace by the appointing council when they meet later in the year.
              Big picture stuff though -
              both Auatralia and America were colonised by foreigners who imposed the system that exists in both countries at this time. Its easy for us to believe that we have licence to determine normality.
              Travel broadens the mind.............
              Bryan

Comment

Working...
              X