oil light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil light

Hello there, and happy New Year!! Well, the challenges in doing good this to the bikes goes on.

Here is one for y'all: 1979 xs1100SF, oil light came on recently I swapped sending units, changed the oil and filter, checked all brake lights; started the engine and observed the oil being sucked away from the level window; So-- what is left and what is up with that???!!

thanks all,

Chakli Diggs

Have you added any oil additives recently? Some additives cause oil to get air whipped into it which can trigger the oil light. Some have stated that Lucas Oil Stabalizer will do this.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey, doesnt the oil light coming on also mean that the tail light/ brake light is burnt out? I had this happen when I replaced my tail light bulb with an LED bulb.
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

I think Commando has it. The '79 SF was the first year to use the oil light as a "tail light" indicator as well. Check your tail light bulbs. You may have one bulb out, and that will cause the problem.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Also check the front and rear stop switch. My bike's oil/brake light would come on intermittently while riding. I went through the same checks as you mentioned and found out that the front stop switch was bad, replaced switch and problem solved.
          Do'Lee
          XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
          (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
          (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
          (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
          SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

That's why this place is Great!

Originally posted by Goin Commando
            Hey, doesnt the oil light coming on also mean that the tail light/ brake light is burnt out? I had this happen when I replaced my tail light bulb with an LED bulb.
            Learn sumpin new every day.
            XS1100SF
            XS1100F

Comment

I also replaced my instrument lights,running lights, signal lights and tail lights with LED's. When I started my bike the headlight burnout indicator light came on, the oil light was on and the signal flasher did not work properly.

After researching the systems I found out that the signal flasher used the instrument light as the common and the voltage was passing back and forth causing them to flash (both the left and right) at the same time. I had to isolate the left from the right signal flashers. Iused a standard instrument cluster, rewired the plug to work with my 79 Special and the signal flashers work fine.

The headlight indicator has a small currert flow through the circuit to let you know that the indicator light is still good. The LED senses the load and the LED comes on.

The oil/brake tail light indicator was doing the same thing. LED in the indicator socket LED on, incandescent light in the socket light off.

So I had to leave incandescent bulbs for the headlight indicator and oil/brake tail indicator and all others are now LED.
              Do'Lee
              XS1100SF "Green Hornet"
              (1) XS1100LG "Midnight Dream" Restoration has begun.
              (2) XS1100LG "Midnight Madness" Waiting to be next
              (5) multi partsters for bobber "Ruby Red II" On the list.
              SR500H "Silver Streak"

Comment

check the connections to the "light checker unit" not to be confused with the reserve lighting unit. On my 79SF, it is located on the left side outside of the battery. I am not sure if the PO moved it or not. The connections can get corroded and/or loose causing the tail light to go out and the oil/brake light to go on.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                X