Well, finally....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, finally....

I finally figured out what was wrong with Pathfinder. It wouldn't run good until 3500, kicking back, stalling from the start and crapped out at around 6000. I spent several days fooling with the carbs with no results. Yesterday while doing a run up in the garage, I decided there was too much nois in the top end so I decided to take off the valve cover and check the valve clearances. #2 intake was way over and #4 intake was way under. Seems the pucks got interchanged so I traded them and now they are all in spec, but I found the exhaust cam was 2 teeth on the chain too early and the intake cam was 3 teeth too early. Set the cam timing and put it back together. WOW what a difference. No more rough idle, smooth exceleration. Now I think I only need to dial in the mixture for a real smooth ride. Go for a ride and read the plugs.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

You're lucky you didn't end up with a top end full of bent valves. Any idea how the cam timing got out of whack so you can make real sure it doesn't happen again?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Sounds to me like the cam chain got stretched too far... got loose... jumped a couple teeth. Make sure you keep that checked. That's probably a given, but you didn't mention it.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I found the same thing once when working on a friends bike in Germany.

We worked on it all day trying to get it to run right and gave up and had a few beers, after a few more beers we came up with the brilliant plan of starting from scratch and going right through the bike setting EVERYTHING to spec.

The next day we started at the top and straight away found both cams were one tooth out of time, the cam chain was tensioned great and we had to take one cam sprocket off to get enough slack chain to move the cams round so how it could have jumped I don't understand.
        Tom
        1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
        1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
        1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
        1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

If both were off one tooth then It probably slipped on the crank.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hmmm??

Maybe but surely the height of a sprocket tooth is the same on any sprocket

I hear what you're saying, bigger cam sprocket radius.

The chain adjuster must have been real slack some other time and when it jumped and caused bad running the first thing people do is give it a service, hence the chain tension was good when I got to it.

The mind boggles as to anyone could run an engine that long without servicing it that the chain would get so slack, it must have sounded like a bag of spanners.
            Tom
            1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
            1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
            1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
            1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I had been messing with my brothers bike for a while now with the same issues as you listed. Didn't think about checking the timing chain. Good place to start.

This is just a thought, but do any of you think it may be possible for a chain to jump a tooth or two if you have a tranny problem with slipping gears. I mean think about it. If your chain is loose and you have a little jerk from a slipping gear if that may contribute to it as well. What do you all think.
              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

What I think happened....

I understand that the cam chain might jump under some circumstances, but the chain was too tight for that even with the tensioner removed. Also I have never heard of valve spacers jumping up and changing positions with the one on the opposite end of the engine. Along with all the other things I found, like wheel nuts not tightened, brake disc bolts with the tabs not put around the heads etc, tells me that although Dave was a really nice guy and a good man, it appears he was not the best mechanic and that it was put together that way. When I got the bike it ran great, but it was noisey and I wanted to find out why. As soon as I took away the 30 degree timing advance it ran like s**t and spark plug inspection showed way too much advance and melted electrodes. I think today I will be able to get everything back to spec. Only thing left is #1 carb has a plugged low speed jet. I still have to redo the connections for the electronic flasher he put in for the LED turn signals so they will auto cancel and find out why the headlight doesn't come on with the engine start. I also got to do a lot of cleaning and polishing as all this mechanikin' has left most everything dirty.

PS, man is it ever hard getting those pucks off the valve buckets.
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...