No announcement yet.

Buying my first bike...and it's a '79 XS Eleven Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am no mechanic. I am a tinkerer. I have paid for several things and tried some myself. I have consistantly found that when I research, on this forum, how to do something to my bike it is always a better experience, and I am able to do it pretty well.
    Howerver, the tradeoff is money -vs- time -vs- riding time. I travel in my job and sometimes it is just easier to have it done than tear it down and do it. BUT ... BEWARE... you own a 28 year old bike and MANY shops do NOT know how to work on it.
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

Comment

I'll be happy to help you with your bike. I've had most of the peices of mine apart and back together, so I should be able to help you with most anything you want to do.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Sweet. Just let me know when is good with you.

- Gaines
        414-9739
        Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I had never worked on a motorcycle before getting my 11. I turned my bike from a decrepid rustbucket into a runner, but it took nearly 6 months...and a lot of Ebay parts. Luckily the engine internals were in good shape, else I may have had to farm it out too. Now that I'm more familiar with the motor (thanks to this site!), I'm looking forward to tearing apart my spare engine and rebuilding it with gusto.

If you are mechanically inclined at all, you will find you can do many things to it that you wouldn't have believed beforehand.

First thing: get a Clymer manual...they arent the best, but there far better than nothing. It details every procedure you will ever need to do to the bike. From oil changes to a full engine dismantle. They are usually available on Ebay or at amazon or something. Worth their weight in gold!

Second: Read the articles on this site! There is TONS of info here, on just about every part of the bike you can imagine. I wouldn't have been near as brave without all the help and info here. They clymer is a great start, and everything here rounds it out perfectly.

Depending on where and when I may be able to come by when Bill does...it'd be great to meet you both! My job has me running though...was in Memphis yesterday, Lewisburg and Shelbyville today, and will be in Manchester tomorrow. All over friggin creation...
          80 XS1100SG
          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I can't go back and edit my original post, so here's a new link to the picture.

Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I just got off the phone with Nashville_Bill and we're planning on meeting up next weekend so he can help me fix up my bike.

Now I'm going to spend all week looking forward to getting this thing purring.

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
              X