'80 XS1100SG Price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '80 XS1100SG Price?

I am the 2nd owner of a near perfect '80 XS1100 Special with 13,7xx original miles. It has been garaged since day one and has been maintained by the Yamaha dealer with a recent full tune-up. Everything on it is original except for the tires & winshield. The paint is flawless as is the chrome. I have had offers of $1400 which seems dirt cheap for a bike in this condition. Any ideas on a price?

Thanks

The bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. At this time of year, $1400 isn't that bad. Remember, this is a 27 year old bike, not a 4 year old bike that can go to any dealer. You cannot get parts "off the shelf" for the bike, and the person buying it MUST know or want the bike.
    Everyone, including me, gets too close the the things we sell. What we think it should sell for sometimes isn't even close to what it's really worth.
    Take a look at the price most people pay for the older Japanese machines. I do know of a '78 standard that sold for $2,500. It had ~700 original miles on it. It was also the first year of the XS1100, and so was more collectable. This machine sold last summer, when the prices were high.
    Just my $0.02
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

where in Modesto do you live?
      I've got a repair shop over on Carpenter Rd.
      I'd like to see your bike.
      (Ron) Uncle Spot
      Tel: 578-2990
      cell: 606-6467

1980 XS1100SG

Comment

I bought my 80 SG for $1000, in the middle of summer.

That guy was just looking to sell, though, and took my first offer. It had some front end issues (Pulsing with the front brake), that I fixed. His loss.
        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Well, it really depends on the milage and looks. Bought a 79F this summer for $1000 and it only had 5k miles on it. It also depends on how its running, original paint, etc. I would not sell my 80G for a penny less than $5000. I know that no one would pay that much for it, but it is completely stock with 25k miles on it. It also has many new or nos parts Really, I would never part with it. This bike will be with me running or not till the end of my days. I am not kidding either. If I was going to sell one just like(just not my baby) I would list it at $2.5k-$3k. It would be better to wait for someone who really wants it and they will be willing to pay for it. And besides, people sometimes tend to lowball you when they make an offer(at least in my experience). Another note about selling: I would never sell a bike if they are just going to part it out. I saved my bike from a guy who was buying them on ebay and selling parts. One look at his history told me that.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
          X