world's largest diesel engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• world's largest diesel engine

Got this website from a buddy, and thought there might be a few here who'd appreciate it: diesel engine
    Was told by another buddy that this is what it went into: ship

109,000 hp!
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

I am just sitting here shaking my head!!! WOW. How do they get that big bastard into the ship? It did not look as if it were built in the ship. I may be wrong. Could you imagine a turbo setup?
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

The pics are of different engines (10 or 12 cylinder), but the 14 cylinder version is the one on the Emma Maersk. I would think that at 2300 tons, it would have to be assembled in the ship itself. This one is actually turbocharged. All this at a measly 102 rpm!
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

These (not this model though) used to be build just around the corner from where I live. Also some of the ships are build here. The BIG Cruise Ships you guys go to from Miami and Bahamas. These smaller engines are built in a factory and then raised to half finished hull.

During my studies we used to calculate the speeds of the pistons and combustion efficiencies etc. of these beasts. Impressive figures.
        ---
        Marko
        '81 SH

Comment

I think I will try to fit one of these in my XS Might be a tight fit though
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

The ship in the link is powered by that big motor plus 40,000 hp from five Caterpillar 8M32 motors! Impressive.
            I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Sure, but can they convert it to a chain drive...
              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I understand that if one cylinder needs work while underway, it can be stopped and isolated from the rest of the engine so workers can get inside and do the fix while the rest of the engine is still rinning.

Havent figured out how they do that one yet.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

That kinda reminds me how WWII german U-Boats worked. Also, The most recent Russian Diesel subs(recently retired) had a way to disconnect each engine and continue to turn the screw electricaly. U-Boats even carried spare pistons. How would you feel about changing a piston on a Diesel underway in a cramped sub?
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                  X