Belated New Years greetings with photo's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belated New Years greetings with photo's

Well the old year went out with a bang here in the Monterey Bay. We had a storm with (just barely) hurricane force winds that blew down large trees, knocked power out for 24 hrs, and dumped copious amounts of rain on us Santa Cruz Mountain folks. I thought we had gotten off lightly until we got a call from Monterey Harbor. It seems that the wind and storm serge had broken my wife’s newly acquired 28ft sailing sloop loose from it’s mooring and blew it onto the rocks bashing a huge hole in the hull and cabin. She acquired the boat for only $500 bucks plus some wheeling, dealing, and trading for a smaller boat, but it was her security fantasy. “If all else fails we can always go live on the boat.” I tried to tell her that living on the water isn’t really very secure, and now I guess she believes me.

The good news is that it wasn’t our line that broke, it was the mooring chain that broke below the mooring bouy. We may be able to recover some damages from the divers who inspected the chain three months ago and filed a document stating that the “chain is close to it’s original size” of ½ inch, when in fact it is worn down to 1/8 inch on several links where the links rub together. Y’know what they say about the weakest link in a chain!
    Oh well, Happy New Year anyway!
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Looks like you gonna be doin some fiberglass work. I do also feel your pain. MY Dad and I have a 28ft cruiser. It was struck by lightening and many other things just after we bought it. There was a 6 inch area perforated by a bunch of little holes and burn marks where the bolt went through. Not to mention that ALL of the electronics were fried. Also there were no schematics to go along with the boat. Well needless to say, years later and many hours of work paid off. We took it to Lake Powell last spring break and it took 10ft waves no problem. We lived on board for a week and a half. We have never had it in the ocean because we don't really have the time. Plus, Mercruiser IO don't really like salt water. After all this time in the sun, she really needs polishing. WE are in the process of designing a shed to hold her up off the trailer. 10000lb is a lot of poundage for a homebuilt shed. And just a tip: If you know a storm is coming, get some good plow anchors and set them in a protected cove. I have been through some torrential thunderstorms which flooded the lake with no problems that way. One night on Grapevine Lake a few years ago, I woke up after a long thundering night and the lake had risen over 8 ft from the rain fall and was just shy of going over the spill way. From all of the full timers that I have talked to, it is generally some guy who doesn't know what he is doing that does the most damage to your boat. Have you read Travels with Charlie? Well good luck on your Maritime endeavors. As they say, "Keep the blue side down"
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

Happy New Year Ed!

Man... ever so sorry about your boat...

Beautiful pic of the sunset though...
      I hope the new year brings in some good luck and smooth seas for you and yours...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

happy new year buddy, how's the ride?
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100