Any auto mechanics here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any auto mechanics here?

I am trying to calibrate my speedometer in my 1991 Cadillac DeVille, and I was curious if anyone in here knows how to do it.

Thanks
    Kurt
    "It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Calibration...

Most all speedos, auto and MC, require that 2000 RPM input equals 60 MPH.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

That doesn't sound right. At 60mph my yota is at around 2500rpm and my xs is at over 4000rpm.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The 2000 RPM is the WHEEL speed, not engine speed. I don't remembere the exact figure, but I think it is 1875 revs per mile.
        An easy way to check is with the milage posts that are on most major streets. Starting at one, with the trip odo zeroed, drive two miles, and check the odo. The amount it is off should tell you how far off the speedo is. BTW, most US speedo's are optomistic, and read about 5% off.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

To add to this mile marker check. Use a stop watch, hopefully with a passenger. At 60 mph, it should take you exactly 1 minute to travel from 1 marker to the next, 2 for 2, etc. So, if speedo says 60MPH, and you hit the 2nd marker before the 2 minutes lapses, then you are actually going faster. If it takes longer, then you are going slower than the displayed 60 mph!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Not wheel speed...

The 2000 RPM is not the wheel speed, it's the speed of the speedo cable at the speedometer back. Calibration is done by attaching a dpeedo drive that is rotating at exactly 2000 RPM and the speedo should read 60 MPH
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

GPS

I checked my Honda civic speedo using a hanheld Garman GPS and it was bang on at 60MPH .....
              Bruce
              Bruce Doucette
              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Radar

Around here there is many radar signs to tell you if you're going too fast. Especially around schools. Just go too fast and they light up and tell you how fast you're going, then tell you to slow down. That's how I found the Yamy speedo to be 5 MPH fast.

Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system

Comment

One possibility, if you need a paper copy, is that you drive around and find a black and white car with colourful buckets upside down on the roof.

Drive fast either passing or crossing near this vehicle, if there is no immediate response repeat couple of times (they might have another customer) but keep the speed and try to remember that for a while.

The customer service rep. will be stop you when a solid reading has been made and come to bring you a personal certificate of your speed with a bill. Check the speed and match it to your own number.

That's it, you're done!
                  ---
                  Marko
                  '81 SH

Comment

That's it, you're done!

That's funny. I'll try it and send you a bill.

I know it's off by at least 10-15mph from all of your suggestions. The real problem is that it is very inconsistant. It will read very high at low speeds, and within 5mph at high speeds. I have no idea about how to fix the problem. Id rather not tear apart everything trying to find out how to adjust it.

Would the problem be at the wheel, in the dash, or ?

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

I'm not sure what speedo drive mechanism a 91 caddy has, but I'd think it's probably electronic from the transmission and that is probably where the source of a problem might be if it's intermittent...just a guess
                      1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                      1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                      http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

I thought that might be it too, but I couldn't find it. I think that the previous owner did something to it to accomidate his Bling Bling 18" rims that were on it.

I didn't notice the speedo until I put the stock rims back on it.

Comment

Kurt,
                          The adjustment can be made by a dealer. The computer needs to be "readjusted" to the stock wheels, if the PO did what I think he did. You can buy the tools to reprogram the car, but they will cost about $250 to $350. The dealer should be able to reset the system for under $100.
                          The speedo is electronic, with the pick-up on the output shaft of the trans if it's rear wheel drive, and on the transaxle if it's front wheel drive.
                          Ray
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                          X