Times up..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Times up..

It close to 3:30 now. That is when I take Barney Fife, my 18 year old beagle to the vet, for the last time.I know most of us have had to perform this unpleasant but necessary task. I am not going to go into all his ailments, just to say his, and our quality of life has reached the point where its the right thing to do. I know its "the right thing to do", but that won't negate the feelings of grief I know myself, and most importantly, my family will feel this afternoon. My girls all have grown up with Barney. We all have cussed at him, played with him and taken great pleasure when we felt him curled up under our blankets, kinda like a furry security blanket. We laughed at his silly antics as a pup, smiled at his always wagging tail and hanging out tongue. Watched him chase rabbits till he couldn't run anymore, his Beagle bay being heard even when he was out of sight. I had along talk with Barney last night and told him what was up, I think the look in his eyes said, "thanks man". I gotta put my tough guy face on now.

Gonna miss ya Barney.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Sorry to hear that. I know your pain. Just went through this myself this summer with our 2 year old lab "Hershey" and cancer.

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2006/...aLastRide.html

Yep. It's the right thing. That doesn't make it any easier.

Best wishes.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

We had to do this with our little mutt Boots. We had her for almost 19 years but it was time. It is hard but it also hard to see them suffer.
      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Me too this last summer, with my 16 year friend Gremlin (cat).
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I think most of us have had to do this at one time or another, some of us more then once. It doesn't hurt any less with a repeat experience. I put mine down in September, and I still can't bear to look at any of her pictures.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Rainbow Bridge
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

It would have been easier for me to take that shot in the arm, I was an emotional wreck for a week, but it was he who told me "it's time"
            We'll be together again, and so will you.

Comment

I also know your pain. in the last few years I've had to make the trip twice, once with a sudden illness ( it all happened within hours with a young chocolate lab) and once from a cronic condition (looking at third surgery in six months for the same condition in an 11 year old dachsund) The pain is there now but it does fad in time knowing that it was the right thing to do and soon all that is left are the memories of the good times.

Ed Z.
              It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
              81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
              82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
              82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I know this doesn't help, and I'm very sorry for your loss of a family member.
                As I was growing up, our family had some close friends that we hunted with named Ted and Joyce. They had the best chocolate lab bird dog I have ever seen named Brownie. As Brownie aged, it got to where he could only get up if you massaged his flanks for about a half hour, along with some Tylenol. Even then, you could tell there was alot of pain involved getting around. It finally got bad enough that they made the decision you did. Ted couldn't bare to do it, so Joyce agreed to take him to the vet's office in the morning after Ted went to work. Before leaving, she did the usual routine to get Brownie going, then let him out to go to the bathroom one last time. She called Ted to tell him she was leaving for the vet, then grabbed her keys and headed out the door to the truck. Brownie had curled up on the front porch and passed away.
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I join all the rest in saying I know how it feels and know it hurts something awful. I have had to go down that road 3 times with my beloved pups and last year had to make the decision over SWMBO's cat while SWMBO was in the hospital recovering from a Jeep roll over. Never thought I'd cry about a cat...

Know that time does heal the wound and the memories remain forever, our loved canines living as long as we do, alive in our hearts.
                  Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                  78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                  02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

I chime in like every one else has. Our pets become a member of the family. Putting a family member to sleep is never an easy or tasteful thing to do but, it is the right thing to do. Over the past few years I have made the last trip with two mutts I had and that was hard enough. But within the past three years I have made the final trip with my golden retriver, Pokey, she was 18 (can you believe it) and most recently my black laborador, Molly. She had cancer. If you ever wanted to see a grown man cry, these were two times that qualify.

So my friend, I do not envy you, but I do feel for you.

Mike
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I've found that it helps to get another one of those rascals when you feel okay with it. I always look at the dogs we have now and remember the ones no longer with us, and it makes me feel better. It's not so much replacement, but more of a continuation in my mind.

Randy
                      Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                      '09 Buell Ulysses
                      '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Sorry to hear that, i know how painful it is. i've had to put down several pets, even had one die in my arms. they are so much more than pets-pals, best friends, non-judgemental companions. beagles are special dogs, too, in my mind. my condolensces, sir.
                        79 xs1100F
                        75K and counting...
                        76k...
                        79k...
                        80k...
                        86k...

Comment

Feeling your pain...

Had to do the same for our collie a week ago (the day after Christmas)...absolutely heartbreaking for my whole family. My other two dogs are still looking for her in her usual spots. My condolences to you for your loss...
                          Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
                          '80 XS1100SG (mine)
                          '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

Working...
                          X