first impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first impressions

I have recently acquired a fine example of an XS1100E. Sadly, an old gent could no longer ride and was looking for a good home for it. It had recently been rebuilt and I got a lot more bike than I deserved for the money.

I rode it from Brisbane (Australia) to Cairns, a distance of about 1800km in 2 days. Having done this ride twice last year (CX500, XV1000) I was amazed at how easily I was chewing up the distance. Mostly because the bike held a lot of fuel and was so comfortable that you just did not need the stops as much.

Of course, cops kept speeds under control but I would have preferred cruising at about 140km/h, which both the bike and I would have enjoyed.

The power of the beast in overtaking gave me some surprises, glancing down to find the speedo at 180km/h in a matter of moments. The seat was good but after 2 days I found myself with a very sore arse, no matter how much I moved around. I have promised myself a sheepskin.

I had none of the numb hands that I had been led to expect. A cruise control gave me wrist breaks when I needed it.

The gearbox kept reminding my of my old harley (long gone). It sure is a clunker. As I got into town I felt like all that clunking at lights was a form of abuse on the old girl, who is clearly happier on the highway. Anyway, I am very impressed with the beast and looking forward to keeping her in shape.

It is good to see that there is a healthy XS1100 site. I look forward to meeting some of you in coming months, and taking on board a bit of wisdom. All the best for the new year.

Scott J
    Scotty J
    Burpengary, Q Australia
    XS1100E 1978
    XJ900N 1985
    Ariel 350 Red Hunter 1949

Welcome to the site Scott.
    These bikes do like to move, with speed too.
    The transmissions are a bit clunky, just the way they are. Second gear is notorious for wearing and popping out of gear. There is a fix for that if you encounter the problem. Not very expensive but labor intensive. If it has been rebuilt then 2nd gear may have already been addressed.
    What was rebuilt on it? Not much wears-out on these bikes. The rings and/or heads are about it.
    Post photos!!!
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ride home

All XS's I've got (6) came home in a trailer or van.
      Must be nice to buy and ride

Pat pretty much said it all..........
      Welcome to XS Land

mro

Comment

first impressions

Bike shows 55000km on clock, which I assume is 155 000. It was rebuilt at 37 000 in 1998 including:
        Main Bearings
        Conrod Bearings
        Crank Seal
        Primary and Cam Chain & guides
        New pistons, rings, Pins etc
        Rebored
        New Clutch Plates
        New Rear shocks
        New 4into1 Exhaust

I can't find any receipts relating to gearbox, but it seems perfect. I have no trouble finding nuetral and not a hint of any false ones.

I have no idea how to post photos, but will figure it out soon I guess. I won't tell you how much I paid for it, because no-one likes a smartass.

Time to go to work. Cheers. Scott J
        Scotty J
        Burpengary, Q Australia
        XS1100E 1978
        XJ900N 1985

Comment

Howzit Scot, I've done the Brisbane to Cairns thing a few times in cages long ago, would have preferred a bike, hell, the eleven will happily sit on 170kph all day, darn cops spoil everything sure gets hot up there sometimes though, you'd want the oil-cooler for those speeds, actually I'd prefer an air-cooled over a water-cooled in those hot far-away places, like Cairns to Darwin for example, if a water-cooled plays up you'll likely get left stranded in the desert! Another thing that can wear out on a high milage XS is the small metal rods in the starter clutch assembly, they can be chipped/broken inside, but even then the motor still cranks over and fires. Pretty tough engines all round.

Comment

Bummer

because no-one likes a smartass
            So................

Doe's this mean you won't "talk" to me anymore

Ow well, guess I'd be cranky if I lived in a land that had more
            poisonous sh1t than anywhere else in the world. From what I hear even your sting rays can be lethel...............Stuck em, yup...killed em too

mro
            btw
            pggg's got one of the "coolest" XS's down under (pun intended)

Comment

Hey mro, just watched an all day streetrace the other day, it's cemetry circuit Wanganui, f**k it was insane, f1, f2, 70's/80's musclebikes, among many others, all tricked out and souped up to hell. The fastest ones, latest 07 sportsbikes tricked out and racing, R6 sounds like a ferrari F1 car on full chat, can hear them coming a mile away, Gixxer 1000's 180hp at the tyre, both neck and neck on acceleration in 1st gear up to a quick blink 100mph or so, souped up Z900's and GS11's right up there too, no XS11's to be seen - full 6 laps on an eleven on that tight bumpy circuit would be an eye opener to say the least, even the race bikes are twisting and weaving like crazy, in the end a top notch Aussie rider cleaned up the local guns...

Comment

got a photo for ya - scotts XS11

OK, I think I figured out the photo issue - updated some old homepage that had been languishing. You should find 2 photos of the XS in the gallery.

http://cairnsfordejohnstons.bigblog.com.au/blog.do
                Scotty J
                Burpengary, Q Australia
                XS1100E 1978
                XJ900N 1985

Comment

Scott,

Welcome aboard, nice looking 'E'.
                  DZ
                  Vyger, 'F'
                  "The Special", 'SF'