Scary noises...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary noises...

Went for a ride down Ortega hwy yesterday. Was a freeway ride for about 30 mi then some twisties. While in the twisties between 45 and 60 MPH I noticed some loud noises from the engine. Understand, I wear a really tight fitting fully foam lined helmet which makes it hard to hear engine noises. It sounded like a rod was loose because it knocked when not pulling or holding back, right at the point where there is no load. So I went home on the old road kinda easy and noticed it was quiet at 45MPH but started knocking around 50 MPH. When I got home I put on my little half helmet and went for a ride, because I can hear everything with that one. It scared me so bad I was tempted to push it home before damaging it anymore.

Took off the fairing and got to work. Compression check, 100, 140, 140, 100. Not good but not too bad. #1 plug looked just right, 2 was showing white flakes, 3 likewise 4 black crusty flakes. Put them back in and started it up to check the timing. Timing was advanced as far as the mcechanical mount allowed. WAY TOO MUCH Set it with my timing light and went for a test ride. Much better, but now I can see the carbs are not balanced and I have to get a balancing tool before it will run right. I was borrowing one from a friend, but he moved away.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

So did the noise turn out to be pre-ignition? Soon as I get my beast on the road, we'll have to meet up. Looks like you're in about the same general area as me.
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

100, 140, 140, 100

Not good.......
      Squirt a little oil in thru spak plug hole, then redue your compression test. If rings are good, compression will be same or very close to first test.

Most likely you have a valve problem.

Valve job???,
      may be able to get away with "lapping em"

mro

Comment

That's probably it...

After setting the timeing it sounded much better, but now I decided to do all the necessary things it needs, like 2nd gear fix, lights on start up etc. So it is hanging in the garage now ready to turn over for the tranny work. I might take the head and sleeves off for inspection when I get it right side up again. I guess I was expecting too much, just because a bike looks good doesn't mean it's mechanically sound.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system

Comment

Bucket of worms...

I decided since I was going to turn it over and do the 2nd gear fix, I would take pics of my method for turning it over as there was some discussion about that here awhile back. That will be another post, but when I removed the tranny cover I got bad news.....

all sorts of junk on the pump screen. Some looked like crusty varnish finally broken loose, but some of it was steel and one peice in the corner looked a lot like a peice of a broken ring. I guess I will be pulling the head and sleeves too.

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Before you pull the top end, does the 'busted ring' piece look big enough diameter for that, or could it be a piece of a failed circlip?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

So, if there is a problem with the bike, someone flips the bike over, removes the oilpan and finds chunks, then loose chunks have now fallen throughout the engine...... not good.
              Probably better to remove the oilpan before flipping (or don't flip it) so that broken pieces come out with the pan.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

IMHO, I think it is just as easy to pull the engine. Not that complex. It could be a problem though with just one person.
                United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                Acta Non Verba

Comment

Further inspection...

The busted ring peice looked like the end of a ring, but turned out to be a peice of hard carbon. Shiny peices turned out to be some kind of plastic film like the edges of some sort of clear plastic gasket material, and the only concern now is the fine metalic grindings I found on the magnetic drain plug. I still think I'm gonna pull the cylinders and check.

Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system

Comment

Working...