Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting xj 1100 onto center stand

beseaching help from all
    some where on the site I saw a post that suggested a method for getting this monster onto its center stand without giving myself a hernia!!! anyone remember who the poster was or where the post was. Thanks

try this thread by Jerry - Putting your bike on the centerstand

Comment

Thanks Brian, Found it and did it, good lord get the v-fib machine

Comment

When I finally got around top adding the right air pressure in my shocks, it made this chore a little easier. When I went on the Talimena ride, I noticed my bike sat straighter on the side stand than others... it was sitting lower. I say it made it easier, but I'm not a small guy and it's still something not easily accomplished. I am glad to hear about the warning of letting it smack itself to a rest on the stand though (My normal mode of getting it there), but the first time I get it almost there to the pinnacle before it goes over on the stand... and I slow it too much and it goes back forward... I will probably slam the thing again!.. lol. It is not easily done... especially on my smooth concrete floor in my shop. Practice makes somewhat more perfect, but it's still a major PITA on these XJ's. A second person helping to pull backwards on the grab bar helps alot. I have to get a little rolling start backwards or it never will go up.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

It took me a while to get it too. I wasn't strong enough to get it up at first. Having good shoes helps a lot. Now, I can get it up no prob. I wondered how people got those 800lb bikes up on the center stand the other day. I stopped into a BMW dealer to check out how their new bikes do it. To my suprise, the gug leveled the bike and hit a button and the bike came right up electrically. Wow. That would sure make it easier.
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

i took a piece of scrap 2x8 about 20" long. mitered the ends to 45 degrees to make it easier to roll back tire onto the board. makes it alot easier. added a metal handle to the side.
            fly

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HobbyMan
              [B] It took me a while to get it too. I wasn't strong enough to get it up at first. Having good shoes helps a lot. Now, I can get it up no prob.

Me 2 SWMBO loves when I have good shoes on

Comment

I have a hell of a time getting mine onto the centerstand. I believe it has been lowered as some amount of the side stand has been cut off...hell, I didn't even know it had a sidestand until I was looking at something else under the bike and stumbled across it. with the foot gone, it just disappears up under the frame. I ended up fabricating a new foot for the side stand and use that almost exclusively. the only time I use the center stand is when I do maint. or have to remove a wheel or something like that.
                I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Just an Idea?

When I put on my 4" over forks, I had to have my sidestand lengthened. I used to use a big piece of 2x 8 board under the centerstand to reach as well, since mine sat UP TOO HIGH, the centerstand was too short. I have since lengthened the CS as well.

But, for those with lowered machines, or just sit a bit lower so that you have to really pull and LIFT the bike/frame up considerably to get it UP on to the CS, I would think that you could use a similar piece of 2x8 or so wood, and roll the bike's Rear Wheel UP onto that board, that way the CS will be able to be flexed much further into the vertical position prior to having to do the final LIFT and PULL of the frame, and should make getting it up and over the hinge/balance point of the CS travel a bit easier!? Only the rear wheel should be on the board, the CS should be contacting the LOWER ground/concrete floor below!

Just a thought!?
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X