No announcement yet.

Trailer or Truck Loading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use a trailer. Ever try to put a Wing and Sidecar into a truck??
    Even my XS1100 Truk is better on a trailer. I'm also trying to sell
    an almost perfect Motorcycle trailer. Check the photos out here
    http://photos.yahoo.com/handgbgacom. I paid over 2g's for it just last year and will take $1500 cash and work out pickup/delivery....if you're close to Austin, TX
    Barb and Gary Gay
    Austin, TX
    WOTI,GWRRA 153854, ISOK
    '96 White SE..Pearly, Friendship II and Escapade SE
    http://photos.yahoo.com/handgbgacom
    b-and-g@austin.rr.com

Comment

I use the back of my pickup truck to haul the XS and the Shadow and never have a problem. My technique takes 2 people. One gets behind the bike and pushes and I am on the left controlling the handle bars and brake. The bike is not running. I carry a folding chair with me, which is on the left side of the ramp just behind the lowered gate. When I tell my friend, son or stranger to start pushing I walk forward with the bike, step up on the chair and into the bed. Smooth as silk....
      Dave Hogue
      1978 XS1100E "Sticky Fingers" (down, but not out)
      1986 Honda Shadow VT1100C "Phacops" (the everyday ride)
      1982 Honda CB750 Custom (the toy)
      Kennesaw, GA
      home.bellsouth.net/p/pwp-dwhogue
      updated November 22, 2001

Comment

Re: Re: Trailer or Truck?

Originally posted by johnstewart

Mike - I'm sorta looking for a sidecar (I've got a dog that loves hanging her head out the window; I think she'd like it).

15 minutes? I thought it would be more difficult.

Also, I see you mention Dnepr sidecars, but found none on that link you sent. Any more info on those?

Any pics?

thanks!
        Sorry. Go to http://webpages.charter.net/thelake. (notice, no www). That's my home site. If you click on the motorcycle link on top, then on the picture in the left lower corner of the page that opens, you'll see my XS850 rig. You can also go to www.ural.com. The only real difference between a Ural and a Dnepr is that the Ural has a trunk lid and brake rod while the Dnepr accesses the trunk by tipping down the seat and has a brake actuated by a cable. The M72 at Dauntless is a Chinese copy of the Ural sidecar. These things are all steel, built for the Russian Military, so they have grinding marks and paint runs, but they are built like brick s---houses. One of the Ural riders rear ended a Suburban and actually did more damage to the Chevy than to the sidecar.
        Sidecarmikel
        aka Mike Laubenstein
        Lake Tainter, Wisconsin

1980 XS1100 soon to have sidecar
        1980 XS850/Dnepr sidecar
        1989 TransAlp/ no sidecar yet, but I know where there's an Equalean!

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Comment

Hey jgalle,
          I just built some wooden ramps that worked on my truck.

See my TeXSive Rally Ride Report and read Fridays entry.

You will see in the story how I found out it was important to put some sort of rung or grip tape on the ramp as the tire wanted to slide down the wood. But this is an easy build and CHEAP.

If you would like some picts let me know and I will try to get some to you.
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Yea get me some pics. Very interested...
            Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

Comment

I use two 2" x 8" x 10'with aluminum ends that slip over the tailgate, that I bought at Home Depot. I drilled a small hole in the tailgate and the aluminum ends in which I insert a pin to keep them from slipping off.

I put that grip tape down each of them for better traction. I then used angle iron to connect the two together with about 1" of space left in between them. This provides a solid place for the tires to run in so you can't steer the bike off the ramp. (The angle iron comes off so these can be used for riding lawnmowers, etc.) Then I use a third to walk up beside the bike while an assistant helps push. Works like a charm for me and I have a full size chevy truck.

Comment

Working...
              X