To China (or bust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To China (or bust)

My oldest son (15 years old) has an opportunity to go to the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in Bejing China.
    There will be a 2008 piece band of highschool student from all over the world performing and his school was invited to participate.
    They get to see some sights (the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, etc) and will be performing in 3 cities. They also get a ticket to see one of the sporting events.
    There's even a very good possability they will be performing in the opening ceremonies (still being negotiated).
    Once in a lifetime opportunity for him. I may have to sell a bike to help finance it , we'll see. I told him if he works 2 eight hour shifts a week for 1 year he'll earn the money by himself (at minimum wage). I may take a 2nd job just to get him there.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

How very exciting!

Truly a wonderful opportunity for him and the other kids...

Keep us posted on the progress...

Some of my favorite memeories are from band trips in high school... I know his adventure will be something he will never forget.
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

&quot;You want eggroll with that?&quot;

Nothing broadens the mind(and flattens the wallet) like world travel.
      Though supervised, it also gives a sense of independence and adventure that can be gained in no other way.
      Youngest son had a chance for a band trip two years ago to Vienna and Budapest. But as I was only working 6 months out of the year at the time, I saw no reason to have to go hungry so he could go Hungary.
      As I'm sure you know, there will be band fundraisers and such to bring the cost down, but it's still gonna require some Daddy Bucks.(Mommy bucks, too)

Hey, there's a thought... Could smuggle opium back out to help defray some of the cost.
      Hhmmm.. but might end up spending more time in China than the other kids, I suppose.
      Yeah, bad idea... he's only fifteen and you may still like him. When he is older, unemployed and won't leave the house... this might be a good option for you then.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Congrats to your son. It is a chance of a lifetime and I hope he gets to make the most of it.

BTW, sell the Suburban first!
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

I wish I could send my kids to China. I sent them to Mexico once, but they found their way back home.....
          The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
          1969 Yamaha DT1B
          Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

A great opportunity for your kids, Pat. I think you are on the right track having your kid be responseable for a very sizeable share of the cost. And I hope his trip is accompanied with a little lesson in contemporary Far Eastern history. Of course this is a vast and multi-layered subject, but I hope he isn't left with the impression that the Chinese Communist Party is as enocuous as the Moose Lodge! Oh well, I stop now...
            E.Liberty
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Working...
            X