Need some network help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some network help

Went out of town over the weekend and came back and my laptop will not get the internet on my wireless network. I have a motorola cable modem, linksys wireless router and HP desktop laptop and printer.

I have shut off everything, and powered back up starting with the modem, then the router and then both PC's. I obviously have internet, it is only on the desktop that is hardwired to the router. The laptop said that it is connected to my home network and the conection is "very good". My printer is wireless and I can print on it from the desktop (have not tried from the laptop, but will). My laptop just keeps saying "cannot display this page".

The only thing that I can think of is that I was getting the internet via another connection down in Gatlinburg, but I was hardwired to a router via ethernet cable. Did that mess me up somehow?

Things to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance for your help.
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Printer works from the laptop. I can print wireless so the network is up and functioning, must be a trouble with the internet settings on the laptop but I am not sure what to look for.

BTW the wife was trying to print some pictures so I ended up printing a test page on photo paper. The most expensive test page that I have every printed!!!!
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

did you disable and repair the connection? Right click on the wireless icon and hit repair
      "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
      1981 LH

Comment

My guess would be your laptop is still set with the direct connection as the default.

Open Network connections and reset your wireless to the default and/or delete/disable the hardwired connection if you don't plan on using it again.

Reboot and continue.
        1981 XJ550RH
        1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
        1978 XS1100F X Streem
        1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
        Jet/Mod Calculator
        Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

thanks, I appreciate your help. I think that I had done the above, but I went to do them again as you suggested and realized that I had not re-booted the laptop. I just put it into hibernate. So when I re-booted it worked. I am typing this wireless from the couch, so I am up and running again.

Thanks again and have some great holidays.
          Travis Miller
          1978 E

Comment

Working...
          X