fairing & brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fairing & brackets

Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I have a question. I have a fairing and mounting brackets off a 79 XS1100F. I will probably sell them both to a fellow member who has an XJ (it will fit, won't it?), but I'm not sure what to ask for them. I want to be as fair as I can to both of us. They came with my bike, but I prefer riding with just a windshield. Not sure what brand of fairing it is, but it needs painting & needs to be rewired---the wiring is a mess and the harness that plugs into the bike itself is missing. The brackets are heavy & strong...they are made for the 79 xs1100...an upper and a lower piece. We both will appreciate any advice you can give us. Thanks
    I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

First I don't know if it will fit, but think it will. If you have a full size engine guard (the giant c-shaped piece) it will interfer with a fairing. Price? A new bracket was going for about $100 or so, so I sold mine for $30, the fairing sounds like it needs work, so maybe at the most (if it is structually OK) $50. So I would say $75-$80. Then if you have to ship it figure another $30-$35 for shipping if you pack it your self. Some pictures would help in determining price.

The brackets are the hard part, once you have that a lot of different fairings will fit.

I bought the full set of hard bags and rails, a fairing and bracket for $100. The fairing was in rough shape though.

The above is just my opinion I have a small Vetter and a bracket at my place to get rid of someday.
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Bob, I have the fairing from a 79F on my XJ. I paid $75 for it, with bracket. Wiring harness could be a pain to reconstitute, but can be done. If it has a radio/cassette player in it, the fairing will likely need to be shimmed up to clear the XJ gauge cluster.

Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

I paid $50.00 for my Vetter in 2000, no bracket, but had wiring harness and was in pretty good shape. Also has optional snap vents in it. Bracket was $25.00. Vetter was a local purchase form an independent dealer, so no shipping charges. I did have to replace the lock in the locking right-hand cover, was a hardwares store item for less than $5.00. All brackets for the XS will fit the XJ, which also had optional Yamaha fairings available for it but are extremely rare. Wiring harness is also the same for the XS and XJ. Rob Mills included the wiring harness infor for the Vetter on his CD-ROM disk, which makes wiring one a little easier.

I've seen some very exagerated prices for fairings, but $75.00 - $100.00 for one in good shape with bracket and wiring is a lot closer to real life. Lowers are getting really expensive, though. I paid $65.00 for my set but have not put them on yet. (Need to get a set of the well nuts used to mount them.)
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X