refill anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refill anyone?

Just changed my oil ( 0 miles ) and it turns out I need to drain it again. Any problem putting that oil back in if drain pan etc. is clean?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

no problemo, even i know this one

maybe the bottle it came out of is dirtier?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Just thinking that it's gotta pick up some junk from the pipes or such, but probably negligible? Question has never come up for me before!
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

If you take it out, it's the same stuff that you WERE going to run in it even it it picked up some slight bit of old oil or dirt. Your filter will get any dirt out (Though I wouldn't suggest throwing in a handfull of sand to see...) that MAY get there during the process. What makes the oil bad is when it gets broke down molecularly from the engine. You didn't say why you need to drain it again... c'mon... spill the beans! You forget to change the filter first?? Hee hee...

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Here's 'the beans' Tod.
          Right after the oil change bike is moving forward with the clutch pulled in and I'm hearing/feeling an unusual noise behind the shifter cover that I have to investigate. Clutch cable and adjustment seem fine. It's kind of a loose clicking sound as I move the rear wheel back and forth on center stand (not running).
          I don't get the connection to the oil change but no problems beforehand and I noticed this right after, when puttin in back in the garage.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

With the bike on the side stand you dont have to drain the oil. It will be pooled over to the left. Put your floor jack under the right side frame, towards the rear of the bike, to lift the rear wheel up off of the floor slightly, if rotating the rear wheel is part of your plan.
            I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Oil should be fine to re use.......but i'd be checking that you haven't dropped any dirt or crap in the oil after it was drained......I have done a similar thing in the past....Oil/Filter Change but only to find that I wasnt happy with oil drain plug after putting it back in....so i drained the oil again....before re using it I strained it by pushing the wifes stocking into the the container it came from and using a funnel to put it back in whilst being strained thru the stocking....(make sure she out first then hide the evidence of the used stocking, then say "it must have blown off the washing line?)...lol
              1982 XS1100R
              1982 XJ650
              1983 VT400
              1990 XVS Shadow
              1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

That noise sounds like it could be a dry spline joint where the rear wheel sits against the final drive. SWMBO's bike made a noise like that for the longest time and I had a heck of a time tracking down what it was.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Ken, I have a new rear tire to put on shortly so will be greasing everything up back there.
                  This noise is coming from right behind the shifter cover.
                  Also plan on replacing that shift return spring that's in there but I don't believe that is related?
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

AND.....

Check to see that your wedding ring is still on your finger!... lol

That oil fill plug is large enough that you can lean the bike on it's sidestand and look around pretty well with a flashlight. On the other side of the cover you don't need to drain the oil.. so maybe you can find it without removing the side cover. That was one of the hardest gaskets to make (Next to the valve cover) so be carful if you have to remove it. It is usually adhered pretty well. I had to use a stick prying in the oil fill hole to get mine to budge.

Tod
                    Last edited by trbig; 12-17-2006, 09:19 PM.
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own