The last straw...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The last straw...

I'm gonna join the AMA roadside assistance program. I decided to take a short ride to Corona this AM and it happened to me for the first time. Flat tire on the freeway, #$&^%*@)&^%$ and tools too difficient to even get the wheel off. It ended up being an all day ordeal, but with some really good things. I called upon an old friend to help and he came with tools and helped remove the rear wheel and let me use his truck for the day to go to Fullerton to get a new tire and take it to a shop in Corona to mount. A man never knows who his friends are until he needs one. I'm a lucky guy I guess because of that and I found a great deal on Dunlop 491 Elite II's on sale this week only for $64.99, so I bought two, the other for the friend, who is the same person who bought the "Ageless Rocket", and it will need a rear tire real soon.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Yes, but think of it this way. If you had AMA roadside assistance, you probably would not have hooked up with your old friend, you probably wouldn't have got such a sweet deal on the tire for yourself, and your other friend probably wouldn't be getting the sweet deal on a tire for him too. Sometimes things are just meant to happen. Daniel writes about this kind of stuff all the time....
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I have AAA, the RV program that covers motorcycles. It is nice to have, to know that it is there.

When I blew the engine on my H last year, I didn't call. I found a parking lot (Not knowing that the engine was blown, of course, just that it was running rough, and leaking oil), took a lot of the bike apart. People stopped. I got free oil from the owner of the garage whose lot I stopped in. I even managed to limp the bike home. It made for a interesting day, and one that my SO (who was with me at the time, and showed extraordinary patience) and I now remember and laugh about.

Perfect days make for great pictures, but disaster makes for better stories. It is good to have both.
      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Things I found out...

One thing this ordeal taught me is that I should go over this bike real good with a set of wrenches. When we got ready to take off the wheel, I found the nut on the main bolt was only finger tight. Good thing the cotter key was there and now the bike is much better handling. After the ordeal yesterday, I came home and took a wrench to other things and found many other things not tight, spark plugs, header pipes, front brake disc, etc. I think I need to excersize my torque wrench all day.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system

Comment

Flats on the road are truly a pain. I don't know if you have tube or tubeless tires. If youhave the tubeless style, check out the plug kits the cycle shops sell. They come with the plug tool, plugs, glue and co2 cartridges with a tire valve adapter. While I have never used mine on my bike, yet, I have had two incidents where I have stopped to help a fellow biker with a flat. Usually had em going within 30-45mins. The last guy I helped with a new K1200 drove on the patch job the rest of the weekend (Aspencade in Ruidoso NM.) Funny thing was if he caught me at a watering hole during that rally, I didn't have to spend a dime! I did caution him to have the tire professionally repaired or replaced ASAP. He was a little miffed that his 22k scooter didn't come with one. I told him flat tires don't care what your riding, or how much it cost.

Of course if you a tube type tire, you day is just plain ruined.

(This post is not an authorization for "Murphy" to sneak a nail in my Elite II's just 'cause I piped up about no street flats )
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

'78 E = Tube....

Tube type and yes, the day was ruined. While in Texas we went for a ride on Sat with a stop at the cemetary and I told Dave I would take care of his baby and he could ride with me anytime. I don't know if he's riding with me, but I think he is testing my luck and sometimes having a little fun. ie, This model has a light switch on the rt handlebar. Haynes says that even with the switch in the off position, the light should come on when the engine starts. Well, it works when it wants to and always while I'm trying to troubleshoot it. I've have always been a good electrical diagnostics technician, that's what feeds us, and I can tell you for sure that the hardest to find problems are of the intermittent type. GGGrrrrrrrrrrr This thing about finding lots of things loose is somewhat disturbing.

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

The loose bolts are from use. I KNOW all the bolts on daily ride are tight, but I STILL find bolts that work loose. Going over the bolts once a month, if you ride like I do, is S.O.P. You probably had a LOT of the bolts work loose on the trailer, as the vibrations from the road are a LOT different than when riding.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Good theory, but...

Sounds like that might be it, except it hasn't been ridden much at all and, the axle bolt had a cotter key in it to keep it from turning, thankfully, and spark plugs coming loose??? Really sounds like it was in the middle of some work when Dave left us and of course no-one knew except him. So far he has let me find these things without anything serious happening like losing things like wheels on the freeway. Maybe he is riding with me.

Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system

Comment

This is totally a Dave stunt!

There has not been a ride that we went on that he didn't have to stop and fix something. It usually turned out being something he was messing with the night before.

So, I always carried a bag of tools and even bought him a canvas bag so he could carry his too!

It never stopped us from riding, though. We may have cut the ride short, but we always rode.

I think that Pathfinder wants to be an AMF Harley when it grows up. You know, before every ride, you gotta tighten all the bolts!

greg
                  Gone but never Forgotten:
                  1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                  2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                  2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Working...
                  X