photo editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photo editing

I was kinda bored the other day. This was the product of several hours of doing nothing really.

What do you think of my amature photo editing? any tips? Don't ask me how I made the flame. Its a long process of almost blowing myself up with a propane tank and compressed air
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Photo editing

Hey Hobbyman-
    Not knowing what you started with or what program you used to edit, it’s hard to say. Nice bike, but then I gather you have several to choose from!
    If you used PhotoShop it could use a little “burning” to lighten the dark areas, and maybe adjusting the colors in “channels.”
    I have taken a couple of classes in PhotoShop. It has so many “bells and whistles” one can easily spend hours playing around with one photo. In fact it is so complicated I find myself using a simpler program such as what came with my Kodak (which recently got stolen!) or M.S. Imager for simple cropping and basic functions to post photos online. If I don’t get back into PhotoShop though, I’m going to start forgetting what I learned. Y’know what they say: “If you don’t use it you loose it!”
    E.Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I like it, hobbyman. Check out the Challenge thread Wildkat started a while back...
      Ken Talbot

Comment

I use a freeware program called GIMP. Is is mainly used by linux and other OS users. THat was the only photo I had that I could fit the flame into. This is the first time I have tried this so I am still getting the hang of the program.
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

Here's my attempt at photo editing. Actually was just cut-n-paste 3 images, a little blending, and adding some text.
          Took about 15 minutes.

Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Nice

Don't you hate 1 word posts
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by HobbyMan
              Nice

Don't you hate 1 word posts
              No.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: Photo editing

Originally posted by E.Liberty
                If you used PhotoShop it could use a little “burning” to lighten the dark areas, and maybe adjusting the colors in “channels.”
                Also, it would be helpful to "dodge" some of the over-exposed parts like the reflection from chrome and reflectors. The best lighting to use is daylight, preferably late morning to noon. It's difficult to get good contrast daylight in the winter months. Also, be mindful of the background. It's easy to get too focused on the subject and not realize that really distracting item in the background.

Cool bike though. I love the cafe racer look of the standards.
                1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Best bang for your buck in a commercial photo editing program is Photoshop Elements, can be found for around $80 - $90 or so. Has basics of the Photoshop program but at less cost. I don't do a lot of editing, mostly color correction, cropping, and setting over-all size, but find Elements is very good and quite easy to use.

A "freebie" somtimes shipped with scanners is Photoshop Lite, even more basic than Elements but can be found for no cost if you know of someone who has a scanner that came with it. Elemets gives the title of the photo in the header and Lite does not, helps when you want to save your work, and forgot which of 100 files you just opened.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well the reason that the photo was taken at night was to actually make a silouett(spelled right?). I was setting up the camera and that was a test shot from the other direction. Since the flame photo was taken at night, I figured that it would be easier to add it in a picture taken at the same light conditions. I am no camera expert soo all of this stuff is hard for me to do. Also here is my math for editing programs:
                    MS Paint: no extra features(crap)/the cost of XP=BAD deal
                    Photoshop: lots of goodies/ $90= good deal
                    Gimp: Average amount of editing tools/$0=undefined. -It works well enough
                    If I have a need for a good program, I would also choose Photo Elements, but at the rate I do this kinda stuff, a freeware editing program works for me. If I had the extra $$, I would surely find some way to spend it on my bike or RC planes.

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Gimp is good full featured software, but can be hard to use.

For you windows users try

Gimpshop - google it up!

Gimpshop is the GIMP with a photoshop like layout.
                      If you are going to buy software - photoshop all the way. If you want free, legal GNU software that does the same thing get GIMP.
                      Bill Woods
                      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Gimpshop, eh? I'll check it out. PhotoShop ain't cheep! (Sorry Prom...)
                        E.Liberty
                        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

That's OK, E. Liberty,
                          I understand California vernacular.
                          It's that Scottish burr of yours that I can't understand.
                          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                          X