XJ question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ question...

I know the had the XJ in Canada for two more years after the '82 model here in the U.S. What's the differences between those later two models and the '82? Surely they wouldn't just keep selling the exact same bike for those extra two years would they? It seems they have to tinker and change something each year. Just curious... thanks.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

As far as I know the only difference was the US speedometer reading in MPH and the Canadian versions reading in KPH. Have never seen any other parts fiche, literature, or anything to suggest there were model changes in the Canadian '83 - '84 years compared to the '82 models. Same with the XJ sold in other countries, including Mexico, after the '82 model year. Cosmetically and mechanically, except of the speedo readout, all XJs are the same regardless of year sold.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I didn't know they sold it for two more years. I only saw it in the show rooms till 83. With no changes at all. One thing I would love to know is how many XJ's were made? I am thinking this is one rare machine.
      '65 Yamaha 80cc YG-1
      '67 Yamaha 350cc R-1
      '79 Kawasaki KZ-1000
      '82 Yamaha XJ-1100
      '86 Harley FXSTC 1340cc
      Sold the Harley and kept the XJ
      '82 XJ Guy

Comment

Differences like between the 10M (USA 1982) and the 11G (Canada 1982-1984) usually concern (anti) air pollution regulation. You have to look at black boxes, jets and needles and gasspeed within the exhaust (eg. different inner diameter pipe, different chambers)
        XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
        MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
        Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
        Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
        Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
        Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Not TERRIBLY rare yet, but much harder to find bike-specific parts compared to the XS. I am in Omaha Nebraska as we speak, and yesterday I drove up to Des Moines Iowa to get an XJ "Parts" bike. Here's a couple pics....

In the first picture, you'll notice the kickstarter shaft, and you can't see the number, but it is 10m..... So it's an XJ block with the kickstarter (Or at least the shaft)

The second pic, you see some surface rust spots on the header pipes, but I think they are salvageable... and the exhaust pipes look very good also. Definately better than my spray painted header pipes and mufflers with rusted out holes. You will also see the XS sidecover on the left side, but it does have the XJ points and alternator installed. The carb holders seem to be in good shape, and the motor does spin over though I am thinking there doesn't seem to be as much compression as there should be... but there is no oil in it. The front forks also appear to be considerably less pitted than mine.

There are several things missing electrically from the bike including the R/R unit and the TCI box. I would kind of like to get this bike back to running. I just hate seeing these become organ donors, but I seem to have a pretty decent challenge ahead to do so. All in all though, I think it was definately worth the $72 I gave for it! : )

If anyone has any of these items extra laying around, I am in the market somewhat. My first order of business this winter is to get a friends XS 850 going. But I am in need of... along with many other things:

Back brake pedal
          Above mentioned electrical parts
          Tail light lense (Cover)
          Rear turn signal lenses

Anyway... I will be keeping my eyes on Ebay for some bargains.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

Hey Tod, could you post a couple more photos. The shot of the kickstart shaft tells me that's an XS block, from 78 or 79. Three more definitive shots would be:
            - the sidecover area as the XJ has a totally different shape sidecover
            - the YICS gallery along the back side of the cylinders
            - the alternator cover which is a different shape than all the XS covers

Than, IIRC, the XJ moved to a cable-uoperated choke with a thumb lever on the handlebar.
            Ken Talbot

Comment

And then there were five.... The 850 on the far right isn't mine, but I imagine I'll be doing enough work to it that it will feel like it.

"The shot of the kickstart shaft tells me that's an XS block, from 78 or 79."

That's what I thought when I first saw it too Ken, but this 10M.... stamped on the block changed my mind.

The SHAPE of the sidecovers are different in that the XJ's sticks out further to accomodate the different alternator, but the bolt patterns are the same (At least I'm pretty sure... but I have been known to be wrong.... ALOT) Here is the alternator cover.

As stated, it has the XJ alternator, rotor, and sidecover on the right, and the XJ pickups on the left, but the left side cover is an XS instead of the XJ's that has "YICS". Again, the cover is shaped different, but the bolt patterns are the same.

The YICS tubes are intact also on the block.

I have a kickstarter for the XJ somewhere. If I can find it, I will try to kick it around and see if it's just the shaft (It may have been layed down, and the only sidecover they could find was from a 78 or 79 and just installed the kickshaft???) Just a guess, but a possibility. My XJ I am currently riding has the shaft sticking out, but the gears are not in the block. The XJ sidecover I have that has the hole plugged looked terrible, so I just stuck the shaft in there and used that cover. The cases need to be split to install them and I didn't want to do that at this time. If the starter ever goes out, these are easy enough to push start that I don't foresee ever really needing it. If the battery is too dead to start it, then the kickstarter won't start it either... not enough juice to the TCI.

Also, it has the lever and cable for the choke (Enrichener) but no carbs came with the bike. The extra bank of carbs I have are off of an XS (I remember they had 110 mains is all I remember) so I am going to have to come up with a way to get the choke set back up to the cable. A little Southern Inginuity may come into play.... : )

this one has me a bit stumped. It looks like the rotor has been used with this etching the way it is. It almost looks like acid was spilled on it and it has actually eaten down the surface of the rotor below the rest of it... Any ideas??

Sorry about the big pics earlier. I always preview the post before I submit it and it never shows them that big in the preview. Oh well....

Tod

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100