Airbrush graphics (help needed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbrush graphics (help needed)

I finally decided on the design I want to airbrush on the FJ... but I'm not certain what type of paint to use.

I'm thinking acrylic enamel... but I need suggestions (help) on the appropriate thinner and hardener (if any).
    I also need to keep it relatively low cost... but I'm only going to be using 4 or 5 colors anyway and small quantities of each.

Also, I need help on ratios for the thinner and hardener... I haven't done automotive paint with my airbrush before and I'm a bit concerned about running enamel through it... is this an unwarranted worry?

Any other opinions, help, suggestions, ideas are welcome...
    Thanks!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Are ya gonna clear coat it when its finished? Does it still have the OEM paint job?
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Ummmm... not quite OEM paint...

either you're being sarcastic (and I know you wouldn't be sarcastic)... or you haven't seen my bike...

I used Delstar DAR acrylic enamel with a DTR602 reducer and a Mar-hyde Wet look hardener for my base coats and then a compatible clear coat (sorry... I've slept since then and I can't for the life of me remember what it was exactly).

and yes... I'm going to clear coat it...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

If it were my project I would consult with the folks at my friendly automotive paint store. The type of paint, the temperature when you paint and other factors you use will determine the proper ratio for thinning. Automotive paint - clearcoat anyway - usually has hardeners in it already. Don't clear coat your gas tank with rattle can clearcoat. It won't stand up to the inevitable drips and spills you get filling your tank.

Automotive paint is much more expensive than many types of paint, but it really is more effective for a longlasting job that will be exposed to the elements. Four or five colors can run up the cost pretty quickly, especially any shade of red. Automotive clearcoat is really to only good way to go, that I have personally found.

If you wanted to investigate rattle can for the clearcoar (automotive clear is pretty dear), I've heard tell of a product called SPRAY MAX which legend has it stands up well to petroleum distillates. My local automotive paint store started selling it a few months back as a gas resistance clear for folks who have a paint budget like mine. I haven't yet tried it myself.

I've seen the work on your website, Kat. Do you have any plans to contract out for other members who are far more graphically challenged than yourself? I'd love to have a unique mural on my tank and side covers. I was thinking a siren formed of mist - like my bike's namesake. Maybe we could work out some sort of trade?

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Wildkat,
          Try going to the local Automotive paint store, tell them how LITTLE paint you need, and see what they can do. I would try to stick with the same brand of paint already on the FJ, so you do not get a chemical supprise. Different brands of the same type paint do NOT always play well together.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks guys

Just a thought... and maybe wishful thinking... but with the very minute amount that I will need of some of the colors... do you think that I could get away with using Testors acrylic enamel? If I use a good clear coat? (I do understand that it could still react adversely with the base coat...)
            I know they are durable... just not sure of compatibility (like you were saying Ray)...
            If I'm putting it on with an airbrush... do you think there would be enough to cause an adverse reaction?

I'll check with the auto paint place and see what they say too... but didn't know if anyone here had already done some graphics...

and Patrick... I definitely want to go the auto clear coat... too much time and money in this already to screw it up any other way...

As for contracting out to do other bikes... let's see how mine turns out before I answer that question...
            81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Wildcat,
              Can't find the pic right now but as I recall your FJ is graphically gorgeous right now. What is it that you are planning to add?
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Awe shucks, laxdad... thanks

I appreciate the kudos... but it still has a long way to go before it's finished...
                Here's a link to a pic...
                Click here please

The silver will be painted to resemble hoses... there are places where the lines don't quite meet (as on the sides of the tank) where I will be placing other graphics to tie everything together.

There is a silent move, Metropolis, that has inspired the design... kind of an industrial look...
                I'm missing the protectors that go on the sides of the upper cowl/ fairing... and as I was playing with ideas to fabricate a replacement the other day... I came up with the design to tie it all together... gears (I LOVE playing with gears and sprockets... but I digress)... still in the planning stages.. but I think that will be it.
                81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Oops... oh yes

Thanks to trbig for the pic of my baby (must give credit where credit is due)... and no.. sorry... no royalties Tod...

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

Re: Ummmm... not quite OEM paint...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wildkat
                    [B]either you're being sarcastic (and I know you wouldn't be sarcastic)... or you haven't seen my bike...

What???, me, sarcastic, never happen . And no, I have never seen your FJ till I looked at the link on this thread. Nice rig by the way. Here's my .02 on the airbrush stuff. Your clearcoat is most certainly hardened and cured fully by now so you could use almost any type of paint 'cept laquer. The Testor model paint is good stuff but I doubt the pigments would hang very long exposed to sunlight and the elements. An idea for getting very small amounts of automotive quality paint is check out the displays of touch up paint. Some are in small bottles and some in cans. If you need to use the paint from the can, you can depressurize the can by turning it upside down and holding the button down till you have let all the gas out or drill a very small hole in the bottom with the can inverted, use caution, it will work 'cause I have done it. Another source for small amounts of paint is your local "fast paint job" shops, Maaco, One-Day, ect. They usally have a good selection and you could use your womanly wiles to get them sell you some, or even give it to you. Then you can use there brand of clearcoat as it would be compatiable with there paint.

I gotta go now, the dishwasher stopped so my truck carb should be clean now.
                    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

LOL.. I was taking a picture of the flags on your doorstep and that &*%* bike got in my way! You're welcome I guess!

Man, I crack me up! lol.. .

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That's what I thought...

I knew that YOU of all people would NEVER be sarcastic... me either...

If you need to use the paint from the can, you can depressurize the can by turning it upside down and holding the button down till you have let all the gas out or drill a very small hole in the bottom with the can inverted, use caution, it will work 'cause I have done it.
                        Funny... I tried this once.. SOMEone... can't remember WHO exactly.. said...
                        "Sure... just turn the can upside down and bleed off the pressure... then you can poke a hole in the bottom and use the paint."
                        "Are you SURE it won't explode on me?"
                        "Absolutely! I do it at work all of the time."

So I do... I press the button and listen to the sound fizzle... then I shake it up and repeat... several times...

"Do you think it's okay to puncture the can now?"
                        "Yep... it should be depressurized by now."
                        "You're absolutely positive about this?"
                        "YES... I told you that we do this at work all of the time and you've bled it enough so that it should be fine."
                        "Well... okay... here goes."

So now we have a beautifully spotted patio cover that any dalmation would feel right at home with...

I never thought about the touch-up paints... that might be a great way to go... It's not like they have to match what I have on there already.
                        Thanks!

Hey... be careful with how much you crack yourself up Tod... we'll have to get the bondo out pretty soon...
                        81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Hey... be careful with how much you crack yourself up Tod... we'll have to get the bondo out pretty soon...

*Groaning... LOL.. All that wisdom and that's the best you could do? Did you hear a drum rim-shot right after you typed that??

Hee hee... Keep trying though... not too much more fluffing until Guru-ship!

I am going to have TC reduce my posts before I get there though.. still dumb as a rock on these things. Why else would I get your phone number Kat other than to talk with John?!? lol..

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I am going to have TC reduce my posts before I get there though.. still dumb as a rock on these things. Why else would I get your phone number Kat other than to talk with John?!? lol..
                            Hey Tod,

Maximan and the Xsive with Megathrust might take offense at that! You shouldn't be insulting those rocks like that!!

I don't want to mess with your post count........... but...... I'll be watching you, and you might get an early Xmas gift when you DO reach GURU Status!
                            T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Is anyone familiar with this product?

http://www.myeverydayauto.com/index....ATS&Category=8

It says it's good to put over urethane... but it says it's waterbased... so I guess it would be okay over acrylic enamel?

still dumb as a rock on these things
                              Sometimes you just make this too easy... so I'm not EVEN going to touch this one...

Why else would I get your phone number Kat other than to talk with John?!?
                              Well gosh... I figured it was just so you could see how many times you could catch us in the middle of something... dinner... potty breaks... etc.
                              (Thought I had better clarify before you took it in another direction)
                              81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X