The Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kitchen

Has anyone ever brought there engine into the kitchen to rebuild it? Rebore that is.....no lathe work in the kitchen

Bruce
    78xs1100
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Must not be married.
    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Nope, but I did find out that carb cleaner eats the varnish off the coffee table...
      -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
      '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
      ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

Never had the whole engine in there. Have done a bunch of carb work in the kitchen. Been busted with parts in the dishwasher, freezer and the oven. Turned the bathroom into a paint booth one time to paint my Norton. More than one kitchen tool has ended up in my tool box(turkey basters are great for removing brake fluid from a master cyclinder, those really nice stainless steel spatulas make good gasket scrapers)I lost count on the number of figernail files and clippers I have snatched up. Had to make a wire harness one time, lotsa shrink wrap work, did not have a heat gun, the toaster worked great. Full bathtub works great for checking to see if your tire has a leak.

Don't know how she tolerates it sometimes.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Because of where I live, North of the 49th, winter has set in and unless you have a full blown heated shop, your painted parts are sitting inside. My frame is curing in the computer room just inside the Garage door.
          Misses doesn't like it but she did tell me to get a hobby
          Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
          XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Comment

Close....but ot exactly

While I do have a small shop next door, I usually do tune-up, etc. work under the patio. It is just more convenient. TV set, closer to the beer and BBQ pit, etc. Though I have got to watch my dog cause she is a little thief and will steal parts and tools.

I have assembled carbs and done gauge repair/maintenance on the kitchen table. Wife tolerates me (probably cause I dont expect her to cut the lawn).

BUT......never, never, never use the oven to cure powder coated parts.
            Mike Giroir
            79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Re: Close....but ot exactly

Originally posted by TADracer
              BUT......never, never, never use the oven to cure powder coated parts.
              Speaking from experience?
              1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Re: The Kitchen

Originally posted by desert1
                Has anyone ever brought there engine into the kitchen to rebuild it? Rebore that is.....no lathe work in the kitchen

When me and the wife were courting I rebuilt the engine of my Honda CB175 in the kitchen of my future mother in law, she was on holiday, the day before she came home I had to scrub the place, Mother in law thought I was an angel for cleaning up her kitchen, never been so clean she said.

Never did tell her why I cleaned it so good, and she still thinks I'm lovely
                Tom
                1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Soo far, I have done Several carb jobs, many MC's and calipers (rebuilt, cleaned, and painted), and most recently, front fork seals replaced. All of this was done either the kitchen table or counter top. My living room frequently is used to sort used parts and other odds and ends that come with buying old bikes. And yes, do fequently paint in the bathroom.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

not I, but my neighbor knocked out the front wall of his house, rolled his '34 ford coupe into the living room and then re laid the block wall. The city kept giving him a hard time about the "unlicecsed vehicle" in the driveway.
                    If it aint broke....it aint mine!:(
                    80G The Big unit
                    72 BSA Rocket Three "Main Squeeze"
                    84 GS1150ES "Big Sue"
                    79 Special (Tomcat's) as yet unnamed

Comment

Re: The Kitchen

Originally posted by desert1
                      Has anyone ever brought there engine into the kitchen to rebuild it?
                      In the early days I rebuilt a couple chainsaws on the kitchen table. In more recent years I rebuilt the bottom end of my VW bug engine on the kitchen table. It was cold outside and all the parts were either new or rebuilt and all were shiny clean.

And if you were wondering, yes I'm single. I don't think any married guy could get away with that...

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Heck, I had a motorcycle engine in the living room when I got married!

(yep, she still married me)

(notes that I *don't* have a motorcycle engine in the living room now)

(remembers that I *do* have a garage now)

"and they lived happily ever after"
                        CUAgain,
                        Daniel Meyer
                        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

not married {was}

Well its gotta be the kitchen, I just cant work in the cold; when you hit your friggin hands for some strange reason it hurts even more ( Doctors cue to step in) then theres condensation on your nice engine parts ....so if I can restrict my ladyfriend to tossin out all my moldy food from the fridge when she visits and leftovers ( kinda moldy anyway) all will be well in Grand Desert .....yeah once the engine is outa the frame the brother and I will tote it in the house.....thanks all for your blessings in my endeavor......

"LONG MAY YOUR BIG MIKUNIS DRAW"

Bruce
                          78XS1100 Alpha
                          79XS1100 special
                          Bruce Doucette
                          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Every cover and shiny piece on my bike has been in the kitchen. At one point I had the bar in the kitchen AND the table covered with bike parts. I wet-sand and scrub and polish away by hand AND power tools (Dremel and palm sander)... making an incredible mess. Then the head, cylinders, and header pipes spent their hours in the oven cooking the new paint on (I did at least do the painting outside!) I can't understand why she hates my bike... I clean up my mess when I'm done!?!? I tell her.. "C'mere honey... look how shiney these got!" She looks at them and says.. wow... neat.. fantastic... When is it leaving my kitchen?!?

She stays with me though because of all of my other excellent qualities!! *Cough.. OK.. maybe she's just too lazy to try to train another one after all these years?? She obviously didn't do well training me! lol

Tod
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I baked most of my engine in the oven when I did the big bore. I have a smallish oven so the cases wouldn't fit, but I suspended them above an electric heater and cured them. A cuple of days ago I baked the paint on to a Standard tail light fixture. I had some tail lights for a Standard laying around, and I was wanting a bigger tail light after losing sight of SWMBO a few times on the way home from Houston last week. All of the metal bases had some rust or pitting on them, so I picked the best looking one. After disassembling it, I ground the chrome off, and buffed it smooth with a wire cup in a drill. I cleaned it with brake clean, and after drying, I warmed it up in the oven to about 100. I sprayed it with two coats of VHT brand engine paint, I didn't have any primer and I wanted to do it anyway, and then baked it at 200 for two hours. If the paint doesn't stick very well, I'll just grind down another taillight fixture, and prime it before painting it. After it cooled, I reassembled the tail light assembly, and fitted it to a spare Special rear fender that I had cleaned up and polished. I swapped out the entire fender and tail light, and wired it up. It looks great, and shows up much better. Most of the work, except the spraying was done on the kitchen table, as it was cold as hell here a couple of days ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X