the new guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the new guy

well guess im the new guy, ive popped in and out for info, but thought id join up, last winter I finished an xs 650 tracker this winter I plan on doing an 1100 i picked up this summer , shes rough but it does fire run shift, im in the process of stripping out what i dont need or want making a rear seat cowell figuring out the front end look. Id mentioned over on the xs650garage this project and theres two guys there doin the same . Ive been riding since early 70's, and if ya check the photobucket link itll show where im at and what im workin on. one thing I will need is info on is there what they call a chopper wiring diagram, minimul switches no signals ect. I want to eliminate the useless weight wireing ect.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v670/jeepurze/

Welcome, Jeepurz,
    I'd like to see some pics of that seat cowl when you've finished it. Looks interesting.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

thanks for the welcome , i got a little smarter i built one for a cb and compressed the shock after, it hit, so I took off shocks first wired it upright. im not the sharpest crayon but i hate doin it twice. I stripped paint from tank to find a huge dent in the side so im trying to decide weather to scrap it or rebondo it up . this is a good info site from what ive seen sneakin in and out.

Comment

Jeepurz,

Here is a link to colored STOCK wiring diagrams that T.C. so gratiously supplied - perhaps these can be forwarded to someone more knowlegeable about xs650 wiring, as I believe it to be very similar to the 650 with TCI (of course I've never owned or worked on a 650 so use at your own risk)

As to the gas tank, here is another link to a thread where a member shaved, split, cleaned and straightened his standard tank before TIG welding it back together - something I plan on trying on a seriously dented Special tank in the future.

Comment

Id thought about trying to shave the sides, kind of a knee recess area. I dont,cant weld but know a cat thats a welding freak. ive never moded a tank to that extent. then theres the ol im not gonna spend a lot on this one , the biggest item will be intake boots there shot and covered with some goey black stuff. dang there alot pricier than xs 650's. gotta clean the carbs figure out how to get rid of all them vac hoses. did the 79's have any tranny issues??

Comment

did the 79's have any tranny issues??
            Yup... he's a new guy!
            Tranny occasionally has problems slipping out of second gear. Plenty of threads on how to repair (I've never done one, so I'll shut up) If it doesn't jump out of gear for you, don't worry about it, not all of them do.
            Intake boots are double-walled. Outside cracks are no indication of whether they are good or bad. Find some NON-sticky black stuff and cover them so they look nice.
            If you have a 79 standard, two vacuum hoses go from the manifolds to the petcocks, one goes from carb body #2 to the vacuum advance unit, two remaining manifold vacuums get plugged. Don't plug the two hoses that run from the middle of carbs 1 and 2, and carbs 3 and 4. Thay are vents, and go to the airbox. If the carb bowls don't vent, the carbs will flood.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Hey Jeepurz,

You should be able to find a set of intakes for about $100.00 for all four! Have you checked the inside to make sure that there aren't any cracks on the inside? These things are two layered, the outer layer does get cracks, but most of the time, the inner layer is intact.

Folks will put black RTV or Plasti-Dip rubber tool handle coating to seal the outsides, and try to improve the aesthetics!

The XS11 series has a history of tranny problems, sometimes! Please go to the MAIN FORUM PAGE, and scroll down to the MISC section, you'll see what to look for in a neglected XS11. Also, many of the tech tips there are NOT linked from the Yellow Column links, like the Tranny repairs, etc. So take some time and READ! Many answers will be provided.

There are not that many vacuum hoses, many are fuel supply hoses linked thru the Octopus. The Octy can be removed and bypassed. There are a set of hoses coming from the UPPER T's on the carb body, they are BOWL VENTS, are NOT to be capped, just vented, you can put a fuel filter on the end IF you don't have the OEM airbox, but don't cap them!

Also, there are lots of topics that have been covered many times in the Discussion THREADS, a simple search with several keywords can help narrow down your search results, try it, you'll like it!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well thanks for the tips guys, howd these run compared to 1000 kaws of the day, I was riding a 650 kaw back when these came out but had yamy dirt bikes. If theses motors are built like the xs 650 they gotta be tough, my second was gone when i got my xs when i tore it down the damage was just the shift fork, ground off. Im hoping i dont have to get into this motor , its fairly intimidating.

Comment

Hey Jeepurz,

I hope you still have the tranny torn down from replacing your shift fork, cause it was probably worn down due to the PO holding it against 2nd gear keeping it from popping out!? You'll want to check out the Tech Tips from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, repairs, tranny, for info on what and why it happens and how to fix it.

But yes, these machines are pretty tough, but if severely neglected or not maintained, they do break down!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hey jeepurz, check out this thread, seems that AlanB may have that XS1100 Chopper Wiring Diagram you are looking for - i've sent him a pm as i'd like to see this as well - for a future project.

Comment

Hi Guys,

The little swing-arm chop was wired when I got it; I have changed most of it around, but the wiring was OK. When I wre the hardtail I will draw out a diagram for that, but it won't be for a while yet!

Sorry i can't be more help.

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

thanks guys I got plenty of time to wait for wiring. Ive got to get the wheels off loose the tires get the rims blasted , brakes are gone too, purty much bout a year right there but its a good way to spend winter. Im goin for a cafe streetfighter look , I HOPE.

Comment

Working...
                        X