Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am new today. I just wanted to introduce myself. I have owned and driven a 1979 sf since last July. I am not new to cycling but am new to a big bike like this one. The guy I got mine from is a friend at work and he has really taken good care of it. I am proud to ride it and am looking forward to many years of enjoyment. I am coming up on my first oil change and If anyone has any advice I would surely use it. I have already read the FAQ section and talked to some other cyclists but would love to hear from other XS owners. Thanks in advance , Kudzu_XS79

Welcome!

Hi Kudzu,
    Yeah, the XS11 runs like a train, anyone wanting to go faster than it will take you has gender identity problems*.
    But be careful at high speed, the XS11 runs out of brakes & roadholding way before it runs out of power.
    Fred Hill, S'toon.
    *quote stolen from a Mickey Spillane novel, originally concerning the need for a handgun more powerful than a .38 Police Positive.
    F.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yeah, the XS11 runs like a train, anyone wanting to go faster than it will take you has gender identity problems*.
      Or is trying to over compensate for certain inadequencies of his manhood*.

Welcome to the site

*small pen!s
      I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.... It smells like......victory

Comment

Hi, Kudzu. Welcome and you will find this site a boon of information for the XS owner, and a great bunch of people too.

I have a small bit of oil change advise for ya. After you get the filter housing off of the bike, make sure you retrieve the washer and spring that are under the filter. Dont just throw them out with the old oil (can you teel this has happened to me).
        Mike Giroir
        79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Here's another tip for ya - get one of TC's famous spin on adapaters It makes oil changing time a quick, easy time rather than the "why won't the #&*%&*ing o ring stay put time!

Oh yes, the other tip is to lightly grease the o-ring to make it stay in place in the oil filter housing and be VERY careful that it doesn't get pinched or bunched up while putting the housing back on.

Finally, a third tip - do a search on "oil clutch", you'll find that you don't want any friction modifiers in your new oil.
          1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
          1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
          http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Don't use Synthetic!

I did for the first oil change, when I got mine back in 2000 with 31k miles. Clutch slipped like hell, and synthetic tends to find leaks that petroleum doesn't care about.

I still have slippage, so I may be doin' a clutch in the near future.

Some of these bikes use a little oil, so make it a habit to look at the site glass every few days. It only takes a second with the bike 90° vertical to the level ground.

greg
            Gone but never Forgotten:
            1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
            2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
            2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Thanks to all

Comment

Welcome Kudzu!

I'll admit that I spend a lot more time taking from than contributing to this site, and I was also considering going with synthetic until I read the arguments against from these guys. I went with good ol' Castrol 20w-50 without any trouble whatsoever. While you're at it, I would seriously recommend that you change your middle-gear and final drive oil as well. Use a high quality gear oil for both. Oh yeah, you might as well take your final drive assembly off and make sure those splines are lubed really well, otherwise you might be contacting Andreas Weiss (our resident parts warehouse) for replacement pieces. Once again, welcome...and good luck!
                Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
                '80 XS1100SG (mine)
                '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

buy the book sir by the book

yeah and get repair or owners manual and do everything in it.
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Thanks again,
                    SanDiegoMike you really hit the nail on the head!! The guy from work, whom I bought the bike from , also used 20w-50 castrol non synthetic. I will stay with it again as the last 3000 or so miles have been a pure joy. Kudzu

Comment

Ohh yeah, I don't see it here yet. If you don't have an oil cooler adaptor plate, make sure that when you are putting the housing back on, it points forward. I mean that the two tabs in the back of the housing keep it from turning. So when tightening it , make sure the tabs are clear. The housing should only rotate a few deg from left to right when you are in the clear.
                      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                      Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                      X