The road to Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The road to Houston

So we started to Houston an hour late, as is customary for our family on any given trip. The plan was to get to Houston by 2 or 3 and visit my brother for awhile.
    John starts out on the bike with me following in the Mom-mobile. No problems as we merrily bop down the highway for the first leg of the trip. John is going a little fast for the ol' Mom-mobile as it begins to shake around 80.
    "Slow Down Speed Racer!" He obviously doesn't hear me as he is now 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead of me. A little setback with the gas can strapped to the back of the bike. It keeps confusing itself for a pogo stick and hopping around, so a needed stop for adjustment is taken here and there.
    Gas stop... time to switch places... Mom-mobile is temporarily dubbed Dad's Cargo and away we go...
    Gas can is STILL causing problems... so I pull over and turn off the ignition... "Ummm Honey, what's up with the electrical? I turn the key and nothing happens."
    "OH NO!! You BROKE it!"
    "Broke what?"
    "The ignition module!"
    "I didn't break it! I simply put the key in and turned it on... I do it to my bikes all of the time... generally works rather well."
    "It's the wrong key!"
    "What do you mean it's the wrong key? It fit in the ignition! I didn't FORCE it!"
    In my defense... the module had already been repaired and the repair failed.... AND there was a rather large chip taken away from the screw threads. (and I still think the 81 key WILL fit the 80 without breaking anything)
    First lesson learned... little key turns the ignition switch... big key turns the ignition module... Do NOT use the big key... It's for Foster Child... NOT Twilite Special.
    Second lesson learned... Twilite Special does NOT like to do the speed limit... I know now why John was so far ahead of me... as I saw him getting smaller and smaller in the rear view mirror several times only to find out I was doing upwards of 85... sweeeeeeeeeeeet!
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

I feel your pain on that doing the speed limit thing. I had figured on running somewhere in the 80-90mph range. Warrior Boy brings the SWMBO's new HD Street Bob. "I can only run about 70 till its broke in" he cries. I tell him its under warranty, ride it like you stole it!!! Actually, I figure that big twin will only pull a "C" note, on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind. Hence, we arrive a little tardy. Street Bob? Maybe a Street Slob!! I will keep that name to myself.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
    X