Dumb A#$ attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb A#$ attack

OK I had a dumb a@# attack Best buddy bought the 750 that was on Ebay last week in North Carolina. Bike is in really good condition. PO said the starter did not work and it had been sitting for a year. He's doing the brakes and I’m waiting for the carb kits so I can try and remember what I did to get mine right a year ago, We removed the starter and disassembled it after troubleshooting the problem down to the starter itself. Opened up the starter and found the armature missing!!! This is where the brain freeze came into play. The 1100 guy said to the 750 guy, Hey I have a starter on my 1100F partser. You are welcome to it if it will help. 750 guy says thanks I’ll take it, and proceeds to disassemble 1100 starter and use the armature and the field coils. He puts everything together, puts it back on the bike after bench test. And we are ready to hit the button. So the question for the reader is what happened? I’ll tell ya. Its spins backwards for the 750. I had forgotten that our beloved beast turns in the opposite direction as the rest of the Yamaha fleet. So does any one have a starter for a 750 that they would be willing to let go of.?

Thanks
    Dave
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

DC motor

Try reversing the pos/neg connection inside the motor.
    Have not had an XS starter apart so not sure if can be done.

mro

Comment

"Now isn't that interesting?"

Not that my thoughts dwell on starters much.
      I've never thought about it.
      Would they actually make starters that run in different directions?
      I've seen starters mesh directly to starter clutches, but have also seen starters mesh to an intermediate gear, then the clutch.
      Sure... it could be for reduction gearing...

Does anyone have the definative answer concerning Jap starters and if there's two types?(meaning... run in opposite directions)

Wingnut, please post your results.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

750 Starter 1J7-81800-60-00
        Brush Plate 1J7-81840-60-00
        Armature 37181850-20-00
        Stator 1J781810-20-00

1100 Starter 2H7-81800-60-00
        Brush Plate 371-81840-20-00
        Armature 2H7-81850-60-00
        Stator 2H7-81810-60-00

As you can see the basic part number for the starter is the same. The prefix for the first year used changed. The components are similar but with out detail drawings I can’t tell what the differences are. When we put the “750” starter together we had to put the end pieces from the 750 on the 1100 Stator, Armature and Brush plate because they were different than the 1100 starter parts. The major thing that stands out to me now is that the nose end of the starter goes into the left hand case on the 750 and the nose end on the 1100 goes into the engine on the right hand side. So if you used a motor that was turning clockwise and turned it over 180 degrees the rotation would be backwards relative to the gears it was engaging. Either Yamaha added another gear in the train to compensate or they reversed the rotation on the motor. As soon as I get my hands on a 750 starter I’ll know for sure.
        [B]
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So who took it?

Hi Wingnut,
          hopefully you can find another starter, the breakers gotta have one, right?
          But which of the POs played Mr. Cleverdick
          to rob the guts out of the starter and then carefully put it all back together again to unload on some unsuspecting buyer?
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

One quick note

A co worker used to have an XS850 SG, and it needed a starter, He went to a salvage yard and bought one from a 750. He couldn't get it to mesh up, so he compared them side by side and found that the 850 starter had more splines on the shaft than the 750 starter, so be careful not to get one from an 850.

Comment

Inbound Starter

Hey Fred, PO was a youg kid who got the bike from someone else. He stated in the write up that the starter didn't work. Don't know if he ever removed it to check it out. We have one coming from a fellow member. I'll post as soon as we get it.

Dave
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

And the Answer is

The 1J7-81800-60-00 starter called out for the1979 XS750 turns CCW when facing the output shaft. The 2H78100-60-00 called out for the 1979 XS1100F turns CW, when facing the output shaft. So you can not remove the Brush plate, armature, and stator from one and replace it in the other and have a starter that turns the right way. Seems as our Yamaha friends did in fact build a starter just for the 1100. Thanks to Dave for the parts
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Picture

I know everyboby likes pictures

wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Picture

I know everyboby likes pictures

And yes in my last post I said it backwards
                    wingnut
                    81 SH (Daily Ride)
                    81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X