Laptop GPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop GPS

Just got a new 06 Accord. Did not get the GPS in it because I was going to get a portable unit for both cars. I have an Acura MDX (SUV), and the Accord. Has anyone used one the software packages that converts your laptop to GPS with an sensor that mounts outside of the car and plugs into your USB ports? There is a Garmin unit on eBay with a buy it now of 104 dollars. Would love to hear some good/bad feedback on different units that people have tried.

Wonder if I could get a tank magnet and mount the laptop to the tank of my XS?.....
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

It's really all about the software that comes with it.

You can get a USB reciever for peanuts on Ebay, but without the software it's kinda useless. Go for one with WAAS and 12 (or preferably more) channel reception capability. This will give you the best resolution when travelling. I have had good luck with Magellan(sp?) and Rand McNally's software. Try to find out what brand and age the software is so you can get the latest version or see if updates are still available for it. 5 year old software will have 5 year old maps in it.

I eventually plan on mounting an LCD (maybe 8" or so) to my tank and using a permanently mounted micro CPU's to run a setup like that for the bike all the time.
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

i had a streetpilot III for years i paid more for the my eleven, 1200 bucks, i sold it for 200 on ebay, and got a c330, faster aqusition times, and recalulation times are super fast, , i think you should spring for the portwable unit, laptop are portable as for as computer goes , buti feel the gps, should be small..
      just my 1 cents
      i had the pilot rigged to the xs when i had it and will need anew cradle for the c330, another reason to go small
      "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I was always frustrated that many of the backroads I ride aren't shown in the commercial software from DeLorme etc. so I set out to try and do it myself.

I bought a copy of Fugawi Global Navigator and a USB GPS receiver/antenna and the combination has worked well tho' I haven't used it as much as I thought I would. I've got it installed on my desktop, laptop, and a PDA I intend to mount on the bike eventually.

The moving map software came with a bunch of vector "street and highway" information that was comparable to Delormes (poor if you're in rural areas). The big plus is that you can use most any kind of map as long as you can get it into a bitmap form such as .TIF and have some geographic position information.

I do digital cartography as a sideline and had little problem importing and geo-referencing my images. It will easily import USGS topo maps (DRGs) which are easy to find for free on the internet as well as pretty much anything that you can scan. It's kinda cool using downloaded satellite images. There are a lot of features I haven't tested yet so I can't comment on them but I did get good customer service from the company. See them at these links:

http://www.fugawi.com/web/

http://www.fugawi.com/web/products/f..._navigator.htm

Rob
        Last edited by rockjok; 11-25-2006, 06:04 AM.

Comment

fuqawi? Is that from the "where in the fuqawi" joke?

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

thanks for the replys. Was kinda joking about mounting the laptop on the tank, but sounds like you all are serious. I need to start doing alot more distances before I can justify GPS on the bike. Since I now have the 2 year old at home my riding time has reduced greatly. But do not worry, I am keeping the old girl ready for the future when I will have more time.
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

Working...
            X