Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about IP Addresses?

Hey there Computer GURUS,

I've recently gone thru the member list from recently joined, and have found about 10 SPAMMERs. I made copies of their usernames and their IP Addresses.

Some are using an email address with xxxx@web.de,
    but their IP's are quite different:

We have the ability to ban certain IP's from even applying to join, but I'm wondering if they are using some sort of IP Spoofing device or such? I'm not that savvy at this level of computer geekdom?

Okay, I just did searches for any other members using an IP with the first 2 sets of numbers from each spammer I found, like:

194.64.227.##

But didn't find any other members with the same beginning IP#'s.
    I can put in as much info as needed like the first 3 sets of #'s, to make the ban more specific.

What say you super geeks?? Good Plan, bad??
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Usually I'll ban the specific IP...but I'll also ban emai domains...for instance *mail.ru ...

They can spoof some ip's...

Here's a decent bot ban list:
    http://www.clanorb.com/banlist.php
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Its kinda hard to ban spammers by IP addresses. Some people's IP address changes every time they connect to the internet. DSL does this, but cable users have a static IP. IP addresses differ by location and service providers. I dont know if I am 100% correct on all of this, but that is what I picked up over the years. What you might try is to find a free IP tracker website and see if there is a common location or provider for spammers. If you found a similarity, you might be able to find a way to block them from that information. Its been a while since I registered, but do we have one of those visual confirmation images? You know where there is an image of some squigly letters and you must type in the word. If we had something like that, It might prevent spammers from registering.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

http://www.dnsstuff.com

Good tools for whois and traceroute on IP addreses. But if they're using a proxy it will be difficult to ban them by IP address.
        1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Working...
        X