Computer User's Opinions wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HobbyMan
    Real geeks don't use firefox either, they make thier own. A friend in my old programming class can program in just about any language you can think of. I can only do the basic languages like C, C++ Visual basic, visual C++ and that kinda stuff. Anyway, his brother got fed up with all of the junk out there and made his own browser. It was really cool. It had similar functions to IE and Firefox. Its too bad I don't have a screen shot.
    Only problem with that option is that he will most probabaly be using the same microsoft components (read DLL) as internet explorer anyway.Visual basic and VisualC++ are microsoft programs anyway so essentially he is just reinventing the wheel using existing bearings and axle.

Go firefox. I used it when it first came out and it was crap. Currently running the latest version and have to say it is an absolute winner.

Built in spell checker, keeps track of downloads etc.

Heard a lot of people bagging latest IE so I won't bother upgrading. Only use it for ebay toolbar is not available for firefox.

Give it a try, I doubt you will regret it.
    1981 XJ550RH
    1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
    1978 XS1100F X Streem
    1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
    Jet/Mod Calculator
    Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

for giggles try this one out. i still prefer firefox/mozilla but this one is a hoot to play around on. just make sure you have dsl or cable.

http://www.browse3d.com/

Comment

SWMBO downloaded the new 7.0. I don't like it but am getting used to it. Mabee my opinion will change in the future. I get the opportunity to XSperience other peoples computers on a daily basis ( Cable tech ) The truth it I prefered my computer before SWMBO did what she did. I will probably make the jump to Mozzilla and call it done.
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Be aware there are a few issues when upgrading from IE 6.x to 7.x. A few programs have issues; that is why I am not installing it on my 50+ Sheriff's Office PCs, nor is our county (Garfield County, Colorado) installing the 7.x. Most of this stuff the average user will never see, unless you have to get into the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's web page, or run certain acounting packages, but there are a few problems. I would make a backup of your registry and hard drive just in case you have a problem and want to revert back to the older IE 6.x. If you do go ahead with IE 7, check you internet settings first on your old installation, and make sure they are replicated on the new version particularly if you have entered any custom settings.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Up until 4 weeks ago, I worked in the IT field. (I left to work with troubled teens.... they are more cooperative than computers.) My company determined that IE v. 7 was the way to go. I had already installed it on my home computers by then. I love it. I have had no software compatibility issues.
            1979 XS1100 SF
            Under Construction,
            Due out by Spring '07
            "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

IE7

TC
              I will reccomend Firefox. Its not a big user of rescources and is a very smooth operater.Have had it about 6 years and use it 95% of the time.When you close it it gets out of your memory. Try the task manager in XP and you will see that Firefox has gone but IE will still be there using a lot of memory after you have closed it. A lot of times it will still be there multipule times.
              POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
              THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
              1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Mozilla is a KILLA!

M O Z I L L A ! ! !

Ok ok...I'm partial to most any "Zilla"...T.C.?

Comment

Originally posted by Hired_Goon

Only problem with that option is that he will most probabaly be using the same microsoft components (read DLL) as internet explorer anyway.Visual basic and VisualC++ are microsoft programs anyway so essentially he is just reinventing the wheel using existing bearings and axle.

Go firefox. I used it when it first came out and it was crap. Currently running the latest version and have to say it is an absolute winner.

Built in spell checker, keeps track of downloads etc.

Heard a lot of people bagging latest IE so I won't bother upgrading. Only use it for ebay toolbar is not available for firefox.

Give it a try, I doubt you will regret it.

Yep, you are correct sir. You can "integrate" IE into just about anything, especially if it's compiled on any of their platforms. Basically it amounts to just using IE, regardless of the interface. Same engine, same vulnerabilities.

I'm not all that thrilled about firefox, really. It's gets kudos for being anti-Microsoft, but like you, it lost me early on because it sucked horribly. I never went back. I like the Ebay toolbar too, so I dont bother with anything else. Maybe I'll give the latest a try....

I've learned over the years not to use anything new from MS until a few months (or even years, for OS's) after it's release. Anything new gets exploited early on, every time. Not to mention all the bugs they never catch. XP wasn't truly secure until SP2, if you can really call it that now. Usually by the time MS mothballs an OS they're finally getting it right.

You can bet Vista exploits are flitting about like flies right now. I wonder if I'lll ever use that turd..... Might very well be using some form of Linux full time by then.
                  80 XS1100SG
                  81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I use Mozilla because its the best overall browser out there. The extensions make it awesome, like accuweather, foxytunes, and adblock. Good stuff.

I only use IE when its a crappy "IE only" website. I run IE6 on PCLinuxOS via IES4linux, which makes IE less prone to attacks. IE and Outlook (express) are the 2 most attacked pieces of software on the planet, thats a fact.

Can IE, its Always been inferior to Netscape/Mozilla and most likely always will be.
                    Last edited by Bill__Woods; 12-19-2006, 10:51 PM.
                    Bill Woods
                    1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                    1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                    2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Check out the "Flock" browser on the photo bucket site downloaded it yesterday and started using it really easy to use and magic for the photo's makes thing eaaasy..
                      1982 XS1100R
                      1982 XJ650
                      1983 VT400
                      1990 XVS Shadow
                      1983 Z1100

-I just love the look on their faces when you leave them standing in the dust after they've lined you up on your XS.

Comment

Running Mac OS 10.4.8 with Safari browser, have no problems at all. The Widgets functions (which MS copied into Vista as "gadgets") work well; I use mostly weather and news RSS feeds.

You guys really need to take a look at the Mac OS 10 systems.

I support Windows for a living, and it really is nice to go home to a system that just works.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Like Jerry, I have industry specific applications that are not IE7 compatible (lots of big font-red letter warnings NOT to download IE7, yet) what I've seen and heard are not good, does anybody like IE7? The wife used to be a programmer for Best Buys web fulfillment dept, her thoughts "just buy a Mac"

Comment

Working...
                          X