Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer User's Opinions wanted!

Hey there fellow Geeksters,

I'm currently running IE 6.xxx and am fairly happy with it! I know there are other browsers out there, but I've been brainwashed by Microsoft, and I hate learning new programs. BTW, I'm running XP SP2.

MS has come out with the new IE 7 ! I saw a version of it on a computer at work, my boss/doctor went ahead and installed it on his desktop machine. I don't like the look of the interface!

Anybody else installed and used it, and what are your impressions? I know it says I can UnInstall it if I don't like it, but I've have problems doing that with previous versions, cause the IE is an integral part of the OS!?!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

I read somewhere in the last couple of days that that version is in beta and the author didn't care for it at all. He had a lot of trouble loading it and he said it takes a while to get use to, he un-installed it after the test.

Maybe after it has been around a while they will work out the bugs.
    82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
    78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
    74 Husky 400
    70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

Take the leap, T.C. Mozilla Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/) is a much better, safer (fewer hackers) browser and it takes very little adjustment from Explorer. Faster than IE, automatic spellcheck, tabbed browsing - just a much better product. Best, however, is that it puts no money in Bill Gates' pocket. The only new command you have to learn is Control-T, which opens up a new tabbed window. I usually have five or six tabs open at once so can watch several pages at once.

JMHO.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I have to give a big second on what Succubus said. I use Mozilla Firefox exclusively. SWMBO uses IE. This works out really well. We don't have to share favorites, when I go to my email and other things, I am always logged in and the same for her.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

IE7 is fine, I've used it since it appeared moths ago, it's basically a microsoft firefox, you can uninstall it so long as you haven't deleted out the $NtUnin thingy that appears with it in C/windows. If you choose to switch to IE7 then you can dump firefox for less clutter on your system as they're more or less the same thing.

Comment

Yeah, it's similar to Foxfire. Bill Gates' antichrist version of Foxfire that wants to take over the world and destroy life as we know it....
            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
            1969 Yamaha DT1B
            Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I'm running the new IE7 and getting used to it okay. It still seems to have one too many toolbar areas wasting valuable screen space, and whoever dreamed up the locations for some of the buttons should be "shot with a ball of their own ####", but I don't see myself uninstalling it.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Here's how it looks on screen

Comment

I have tried firefox and I just don't seem to like it. I don't like the looks of the new IE because it is the microsoft answer to firefox. I suggest trying it for a month and if you don't like it, uninstall it.
                  United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                  If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                  "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                  "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                  Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have it on my new laptop and it is different from what I was using but not so much as to be a problem after a week of cussing...I'm OK with it.
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

i'll jump on the mozilla side of the fence. i have had good success with it. the tabs remind me of the old netscape browser. I tried the beta ie7 but it just didn't work out. i'm sure the production version is ok. I dislike ie for the same reason I hate aol. the force entirely to much on you.

Comment

I tried Opera, but didn't care for it. Hopefully we don't have to listen to anyone talk about Safari
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I just don't like the new microsoft stuff. They are getting caught up trying to compete with mac, etc... I have a copy of the newest beta microsoft OS and it isn't any better than XP. On some computers, I still even have WIN98. That is where I learned to troubleshoot microsoft software
                          Acta Non Verba

Comment

Real geeks don't use internet exploder. Firefox is by far the best but the interface takes a little getting used to. After a couple days of using it I was hooked...

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Real geeks don't use firefox either, they make thier own. A friend in my old programming class can program in just about any language you can think of. I can only do the basic languages like C, C++ Visual basic, visual C++ and that kinda stuff. Anyway, his brother got fed up with all of the junk out there and made his own browser. It was really cool. It had similar functions to IE and Firefox. Its too bad I don't have a screen shot.
                              Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X