The Element

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Element

Well here is the latest addition to the stable. It is a 79 F model and I think it and Swamp Thing are related. I’ve never seen a more abused and neglected XS. Its story is a sad one. The PO had a terminal illness. He bought the bike and hit the road right after he found out. Put 13000 miles on it and in 1992 drove it into a pole barn next to a salt water marsh in down east North Carolina. Parked it and died a short time later. The bike sat there exposed to the salt air and countless hurricanes. I found it a month ago and persuaded the lady to let me take it out of there. The engine is locked up tight. I’ve filled the cylinders with MMO and JP5. I figure a good long soak is in order before I start trying to get it to turn. Brakes were locked down and had to be removed before I could even move it. Most likely the bike will have to be parted out but who knows , a RAT Bike Bobber?. Randy did a great job with the same or less. I named it “The Element” because its trying to return back to the basic elements it was made from.

wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Good God, Dave.

You've actually found one that's worse than Swamp Thing. Sad to see another one go that way. Parting out is right, but which part? The key still looks good!

Comment

With a big budget, I could fix it the key is BIG budget.
      United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
      If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
      "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
      "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
      Acta Non Verba

Comment

That's indeed a sad story. It's too bad the fellow didn't have anybody to leave his bike to. I sure hope there's some one in my family to take over my bikes when I cash in my chips.

The rotors are stainless and probably OK as are maybe some of the internal parts.
        I'd be tempted to try and fix the gages but odds are they're not savable. The carb slides should be good if the air box was intact.

Geezer
        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Now that's a rough looking bike! It will take some time and effort, but you would be amazed what a bit of time spent with even a small sandblaster will do to thet rust on the fenders, and what some glass beads will do for the engine. In the state it's in, I'm not sure what you could actually take off and sell.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Funny you should mention the key. I was looking for a helmet lock for my SH and thought well I’ll at least salvage one thing off of this poor beast. But no, it has had the ignition switch replaced and that’s the only key I have. The other 3 locks are a different key number. I agree that most of the parts are not salvageable. All of the plastics (read side covers) are perfect just faded. I know some one out there is looking for 79 side covers that are not cracked and have the tangs intact. Cad plated parts of the carbs are a rust ball but the shafts move easy and the diaphragms hold air very well. The bike was also a full bagger. The trunk and side bags are in good shape. One of the bag lids seems to have taken an hit like it blew off and was beat up. PO was also related to someone on this forum as it was repaired with duct tape. Bag mount chrome is gone but solid, same goes for the exhaust system. So far the only thing that has made it to the SH has been the throttle lock and that worked out great. If nothing else I’ll have fun taking it apart and getting my hands on some of the internal parts I read about here. I learn better that way
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
            81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
            82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
            81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

LOL... Now I know how to fix my exhausts with the hole rusted out in the bottom!!

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

In that first pic, on the right side of the tach is a little couple inch tall "thing" with a kind of ball on top (sorry about the description).
                Anybody know what that is? Recently noticed 2 of them on a st1100.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Hey Dean,

Those are the mounts for a handlebar affixed windscreen!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thought about that TC, but the ones I saw were on the st1100 with its integral fairing. And the bar mounted windshield I briefly had was not like that. Maybe just a different style!
                    80 SG
                    81 SH in parts
                    99 ST1100
                    91 ST1100

Comment

In the same shape

I have a 82 XJ1100 in just about the same condition. PO said come and get it was taking up space in garage.But it looks just as bad. Have not tried to turn over motor so not sure if locked up or not. But what would be cool is get it to run good then blow away a few hd's that cost $mega bucks and all polished to the hilt. Would probable make them take it home and park it. They would hate to say i was beat by a bike that looked like a piece of junk. Also if you drop it you don't have to worry about scratching it. If you part out the bike i would be interested in the crash bar, have been looking for one like that.

Thanks Tom
                      82XJ DAILY RIDE
                      78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                      79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                      82XJ IN THE ROUGH
                      Thanks Tom
                      82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                      78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                      79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                      79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                      80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                      82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

I haven't seen anything that ugly since I last shaved! But it's a better fixer-upper that I am.
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The ball thing

Is a windshield mount. I have a National Cycle windshield on my bike, and the upper mount is just like that, and there is a socket attached to the shield that the ball snaps into.

Comment

Originally posted by prometheus578
                            I haven't seen anything that ugly since I last shaved!
                            Do what I did, stop shaving.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Hey trbig the PO of my bike fixed the exhaust the exact same way. Has held for 3 years. If it goes bad my only decesion is regular or decaf!!!
                              78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                              2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
                              X