X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purdhoe bay alaska

anyone ever been there?
    I feel the need for a new trip.
    obviously it would be next year july/august.
    any ideas about extending the fuel carrying abilities?
    the furthest distance between gas stations is 214 miles.

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
    Second bike is an FJR1300.
    Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

God help me, I may be ostrasized for even having knowledge of this but here goes...there is another board for riders of "adventure bikes" http://www.advrider.com/ and many have made the trip you mention, this may be a good resource for ride info/planning.

Let the flogging begin.

Comment

FLOG!

Just kidding. To get flogged around here you would have to say something like, 'harleys rock and metrics suck' or 'I wish my bike had a v-twin in it instead of that damn four in a row. " You would certainly be flogged to death. I personaly would love to get an "adventure" type hybrid bike to have in my stable. "Hay guys lets ride down to the river," not on the eleven.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Have not been there, but have seen photos of the place. It is one of the ugliest places in North America...only thing to see is the Alaskan Pipeline entering the ground, otherwise it isn't anything more than an ice-cold oil shanty town, nothing scenic about it. Trip there and back has some high points; get a copy of MilePost magazine (specializes in Alaskan travel) and plan your route. You can also go to www.alaska.com for some good info.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Rush,
          If you have the Standard model, you SHOULD be able to squeeze 215 miles out of a tank. Keep the speed down to 55mph or less, and you should be getting close to 45MPG, or better. With a 5 gallon tank, you should be able to make it.
          I would also look into a small outboard tank as a back-up. a two gallon can will go a long way to making the trip.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I rode my Valkyrie to Alaska in 2004. I was going to go to Prudhoe Bay but the forest fires had the road closed to civilians for the couple days I was in Fairbanks.

Then I thought I'd try for Inuvik on the Dempster Highway out of Dawson City...426 miles of gravel and dirt...with only one stop in the middle. That road well and truly kicked my ass. Conditions change REALLY fast out there. I had to turn back (1st time EVER)...but I will attempt it again.

I took a 5 gallon plastic Jerry can that I bought here ...it sealed with an o-ring and is very heavy plastic. Worked great. Don't try those cheap plastic gas cans as they will leak as you bounce all over the place. I carried it on my luggage rack (empty) for the entire trip...just filled it for that attempt.
            CUAgain,
            Daniel Meyer
            Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
            Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Hey Rush, you realize that if you do this trip, we're going to be looking for a write-up something like Daniel's so can all feel like we're there with you....
              Ken Talbot

Comment

Heh heh...a lot of the stories are at that link but if ya want the whole story, including the Dempster kicking my ass, ya gotta get the book! (there's chapters in the book that are not on the web).

I'm evil that way!
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer
                Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

?

ya we know ....you book pusher you...
                  1982 XJ 1100
                  going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                  now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I have only driven between Anchorage and Whittier. After a long flight, you don't want to drive that far. I love the roads(when they are in good condition). If they are like I rember, that should be fun. I have only been there 3 or 4 times. The nice thing was that my dad and I rented a car for $20, unilimeted miles. When we would return it, the bugs would cover the front 1/4inch thick. In the next few years, I plan on driving up there.
                    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
                    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
                    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
                    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
                    Acta Non Verba

Comment

My wife and I had mentioned the possibility of taking the Goldwing to Alaska next Summer. Our youngest son may be stationed there, he is returning from his tour in Iraq as I type this post.
                      No way do I try it on the XS11, I don't trust my wrenching skills enough and I have it in too many pieces right now.
                      1979 XS1100 SF
                      Under Construction,
                      Due out by Spring '07
                      "Some days, it ain't even worth chewing through the restraints."

TomKat

Comment

Working...
                      X