X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Posting Hi to All

Hi all,
    This is my first posting.
    I found this site shortly after I purchased a 78 11 earlier this summer. I have been riding on and off since I was about 12. The last few years I have been raising a family and haven’t been able to get my hands on one of my own ( took a friend’s bike out once or twice a year just to get rid of the urge ).
    A friend let me on to this guy that had this old bike sitting in his back shed. I went and looked into it and found a very tired looking old 1100. I asked him how much he wanted for it and he said he had just put new tires on it before he stopped using it and that he was very thirsty, so for $300 and a flat of beer I took it home.
    This is where my search and trail led me to this site. Of course it wouldn’t run. I cleaned it all up and my youngest son and I spent a few days going over the whole thing, electrical, fuel, and brakes.
    Fired it up and it ran like a piece of ( ). Started filtering through all of the info the you have on the site and came up with some good fixes.
    We have been running the bike all summer, though not in tip-top shape, to see how well it will hold up. Between my son an I we put almost 8000 km (5000 miles) on it and it seems to be holding in there.
    The bike is now down to frame and forks as a winter project.
    No doubt I will be accessing the site all winter both for information and hopefully to get to know some of you as well. From what I see you seem to be a very good group and I would be happy to be considered among you.
    Will post and contribute when I can.
    Thanks Ed
    Ed

78/82 XS/XJ mostly made up of parts bikes
    XS1100 SG 1980 Will restore to original over time

Welcome!!

About anything you need is on here. Get familiar with the search feature and you'll probably find several posts similar to any question you may have. Additionally, if you can't find it, there are many fella's on here who can walk you through just about any operation, probably on memory alone.
    I, unfortunately, am not one of those fella's, yet.

Theron
    Yamaniac
    '79 xs11 sf - WidowMaker, 750 final drive
    '80 xs1100 sg- ENEMY#1 parts bike no title(free)
    '79 f- frame and swingarm (and title)
    '82 yz 490- needs a cylinder, head, & new piston, etc. Got one for sale?
    '88 Honda cbr600- Running, finally! Training bike for swmbo, maybe a stunt bike for me eventually.

Comment

Welcome Ed!
      Don't forget to look at the "Tech Tips" first, as they cover a LOT of what may be needed. There are a few owners in BC, with a couple on the Island. If you get in a real jam, just ask and you'll probably have some help, for a beer or two.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Welomce EZ!

OK so you are now the new guy. That means that PlaneDick is off the hook for the first round!

It just a joke. There is no first round. Heck, a lot of the TeXSives don't drink alcohol, self included.

Do yo have any pics, like when you picked it up, or before you started tearing it down?

We like to see before, during and after pics!

We are always here to help a fellow XSive. Now about your dues...

greg
        Gone but never Forgotten:
        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Hi and welcome!

You sure came to the right place.. lots of knowledgeable people around here when it comes to the XS and XJ... pretty diverse group in other areas as well.
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Muahahahahah!!!! Someone else falls into my evil plan. No actually this site is great. The people are too. Seriously, you can find out anything on this site. Its GREAT!!
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Thanks for the Replies

Thanks again
              It may take me a while to get aquainted with all of you but so far I like what I see.
              Can't stay on too long as I am at work.
              I will be home later to-night and I will try to get on and get involved with some of the other postings
              Ed
              Ed

Comment

Welcome from a neighbour, Ed! So, just where was this shed where the bike was stored? I'm guessing it was closer to your end of the Arrow Lakes system than to mine, or it might have ended up in my carport with the rest of my fleet.

Always good to have another Canuck on board....
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Yes, welcome Ed. This is a great site and a great group of people. The XS and XJ bikes attract a real cult following and you may have not yet realized how lucky you are to have one.

You can find out about anything you need to know here and the guru's have forgotton more about these bikes than I will surely ever know.
                  Mike Giroir
                  79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Hi Ken

Good to be here
                    Good to meet good people.
                    The bike came from somewhere in Northern Alberta a few years ago with this guy. He never road it much up there either.
                    It is regustered as a 78 but it has losts of other parts on it that don't match the year and I am slowly sorting out what I have.
                    It makes it a little more difficult when ordering or looking for parts but it is a true 1100 even though it is a 78..mumble,mumble 82.
                    My kids call me the king of scronge (as well as a few other things) so I'll get her straightened out real soon.
                    Talk to you again soon
                    Ed
                    Ed

Comment

Welcome EZ!

You came to the right place. You won't find a better forum anywhere. A great bunch with a wealth of knowledge and so far as I've seen, zero flaming. I've sure rubbed a few the wrong way and everyone's been civil despite differences of opinion. These guys will go the extra mile for another XSive.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

WELCOME ED!

You sure came to the right place. To my knowledge I have never seen the Gurus stumped!

This place is full of wrench turners and tinkerers and everything in between.

There are a few mixed year bikes in here so if it turns out you have one...you are STILL in great company!

Skippy pegged it...we love the pics!

Tinkering along for now.....
                        JimBoReeno
                        My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                        '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                        '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                        2000 Indian Chief
                        Millennium Edition

Comment

people who like xs1100 are fabulous
                          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

It's Good to be amoung you all.
                            It truley is a mixed breed bike. I think there is a part from every 1100 year fro 78 to 82.
                            Once I got it running earlier this summer, my youngest son couldn't get the grin off his face(as well as mine).
                            I didn't pay much attention to it as long as it stayed running.
                            When I started taking it apart this last week or so I could see why my son had the smileys ( time for a new back tire which he is paying for ).
                            I will be asking all kinds of questions as the months go along.
                            I don't have a pure bred but I am going to make what I have as nice as I can.
                            I will post some pics as I go along but I have to figure out how to load them in.
                            Once again thanks
                            ED
                            Ed

Comment

78 to 84

Hi Ed.
                              The XS1100 was made till 1982 but the XJ1100 s were made until 1984 at least to the Canadian market that is welcome to our group...!!
                              Bruce Doucette
                              Grand Desert, Nova Scotia
                              78 XS1100 Alpha
                              79XS1100 Special, still in waiting

Bruce Doucette
                              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                              X