Murphy, weather and motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murphy, weather and motorcycles

Beautiful day... sunny and warm... probably around 75 or so... Get the bikes out... jump on the FJ and start it up... sounds GREAT! for about 3 minutes... then number one begins not hitting correctly... again.
    Grumble about it for a while... put it back in the garage...
    'Not going to lose this beautiful day because of a bike with an attitude..."
    Hop on Foster Child... start out... and he runs sluggish... slow off the lights... coughs and sputters on hills... not a happy camper... me either.

Is that Murphy’s Law too? Beautiful weather = a bike with a problem?

Get home and adjusted my first set of carbs... FJ sounds great! (for more than 3 minutes)... and Foster Child gets his idle adjusted. Both bikes running well...
    Today’s weather?
    Cool with a chance of rain...
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Yep it’s Murphy again

Had this bike about a year now and after getting it on the street last spring I rode the *&$@ out of it all summer. I was riding on the tires that came with it. Dunlop 491 Elite IIs. Front was ok but old and the rear was worn to the point of being badly cupped. Saved up and bought a new set of Elite IIIs (yes the MU Elite III will fit on the rear of a special) and decided to mount them myself just to see if I could. That’s the last time I do that. Worth every dime to have the shop use their machine to mount new tires. Had the shop spin balance them and I installed both on the bike yesterday. Time for a test ride at about 6:00pm. 65 degrees and clear, nice riding weather after no riding for the last 2 weeks. Got about an hours worth before I had to go home (SWMBO says I have to be in before the street lights come on) and man what a difference. Bike running great and handling like I’ve never felt from an 1100. Flicking really easy in and out of turns. No more wiggle wiggle on these great grooved roads we have here down east. Today I’m off work and its 50 degrees and raining
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

For mounting tires, a bottle of kids bubble blowing soap used as a lubricant to slide the new tire onto the rim can make a BIG difference in easing the chore.

Steve
      80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
      73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
      62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
      Norton Electra - future restore
      CZ 400 MX'er
      68 Ducati Scrambler
      RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Sounds like John isn't attending to his husbandly duties. He GOT to keep those carbs adjusted and the plugs clean. Sometimes ya just have to fiddle with the knobs and screws to keep everything purring along.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Sometimes ya just have to fiddle with the knobs and screws to keep everything purring along.

Our man-brains just go to crap when Wildkat chimes in, don't they?!? lol...

Wildkat... tell John. I'll ride down to see you two sometime, and I'll buy the beer for him and I while you adjust my carbs too! On second thought.... I believe I won't have you messing with something I am depending on to get home! But.. lmao.. third thought... you better fix them right or I CAN'T leave!

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Oh good Heavens!

Sounds like John isn't attending to his husbandly duties
            Okay... just WHAT is THAT supposed to mean? He did just FINE the last few days... He fiddles with the knobs and screws perfectly... everything is purring very well thank you...

He doesn't need me to defend him here... so you better watch out.
            (oooooooooooh... NOW you're in trouble)

(again)
            That's the whole reason I come here is to get the information so he DOESN'T have to work on my bike for me... okay.. maybe it isn't the ENTIRE reason... but it's one of the biggies. I actually do spend quite a bit of time reading in the XS/XJ Discussion Forum... not just posting fluff here.
            See? You have me getting all defensive now... Now I'm going to go pout...
            Our man-brains just go to crap when Wildkat chimes in, don't they?!?

I couldn't possibly take all of the credit here...

as for your carbs, Tod... yeah... I'll fix 'em...
            ~he he he~

Actually, I'm getting very familiar with XS carbs... Would I trust me to work on them at this point in time? No... but soon... VERY soon.
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

We need to come up with a merit badge for those of us that have mastered the triple clean!

If I have offended the mate of a GURU, I offer my most humble of apologies. I fall to my knees and bow my head in humble acknowledgement of the greatness that surrounds me.

Comment

Wait a minute...

We need to come up with a merit badge for those of us that have mastered the triple clean!
                Are we still talking about the bikes?

If I have offended the mate of a GURU, I offer my most humble of apologies. I fall to my knees and bow my head in humble acknowledgement of the greatness that surrounds me.
                Well it's about time! and even if I wasn't the wife of a Guru... the greatness should STILL be well recognized.
                81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

As this thread gets futher off on a tanget. What else could possibly need a triple clean? Maybe something that requires a co-pay?

The greatness of SWMBO is always acknowledged by those of us that know life is better when that is done.

I now retreat from your thone room with my head bowed. Its way to nice a day to spend indoors. Now, wheres my helmet?

Comment

Tangent surfing... THIS I can do...

The greatness of SWMBO is always acknowledged by those of us that know life is better when that is done.
                    Just remember... it only means something if you REALLY mean it...
                    "Yes Dear" usually only serves to make matters worse...
                    Now, wheres my helmet?
                    Not touching that one...

With the kids around, I can't ride... so I guess I'm going to go work on my rock...

Ride a few miles for me (it is a BEAUTIFUL day... of course I can't go for a ride)
                    81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                    X