Clear All

• Risks....

This is worth the read...

Risks

CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Sobering enough... where even I can't make my usual rude comments.
    Thanks for that slap of reality, Dragonrider
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thank you DAN!

That will certainly give me something to think about next time it is hot and I don't want to wear my armor.

Comment

It's a daily battle for me...what and how much gear.

Mostly, shirt-sleeves, jeans, and a helmet.

Food for thought.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

WOW. I think that everyone should hear this story. Whats important is that we learn from others and our own mistakes. I have learned the hard way not to wear shoes with long laces. Have you ever been traped under an XS becuause your laces caught the shifter? Just another example of what not to do. I think we all knew that protective clothing was necessary, but some of us are too lazy to care. I have caught myself like this some times. Most of the time, I try to wear adequate protection. After reading this, I will feel justified when I am sweating in 110 deg traffic. I feel protected with a full face and a leather jacket, but Jeans don't seem to fit. Any cheap alternatives or ideas? After reading this, I don't want to leave anything out. It is not good when we hear that fellow motorcyclists have been injured from an accident. I believe there is a reason that she shared her story, so we should listen. My only question is: Where was her friend when all of this was happening? He was "kind" enough to giver her a ride on his motorcycle
          United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
          If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
          "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
          "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
          Acta Non Verba

Comment

This is worth the read...

Seldom take a passenger (too selfish)
            BUT when I do, I drive totally sane and the passenger is told before he/she gets on that they are in charge. Any problem let me know, too fast/slow what ever........

As fer wearing hardware.....Know I should, but usually gust gloves and steel toed boots.

daughter #1 rides now and then and daughter #2 wants her own bike. Since I've set a rather bad example as a rider, not giving or helping either get there own bikes but will not stand in there way. Will make sure the bikes they do get are road worthy tho and will get em decent riding gear.

mro

Comment

I usually were hiking boots, jeans or heavier pants like Carharts, and something long sleeved. But, because it is a rare occasion here on the coast where the temps amost never get out of the 60's, when the warm weather comes all I can think of is going for a "T-shirt" ride.
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

That’s the 2nd wake up call I’ve had in just as many days, I missed the ride on Sunday in which a couple members of this board crashed their bikes but were fortunate enough to walk away, and now another reminder of how fortunate I’ve been all these years.
                I’ve ridden for over 20 years without a helmet (back in my H-D days) and have just begun to wear one (state law) I normally wear a shorty helmet when it’s hot and a full face when it’s not, anything over 80 degrees and I’m less likely to be wearing a jacket/protective pants (the ballistic/padded ones) I know that ATGATT is the smart thing but when it’s 100 degrees am I at more risk because of my discomfort and pre-occupation with being hot? Granted that’s only temporary and road rash can be forever.
                For me, I’ll suit up a little more often even on the really hot days. I got the hint, thanks God.

Comment

It seems most people equate safety gear with heat. Not true; safety gear is a hassle to put on / take off and store if you are going to be off your bike at times, but well-designed safety gear does not have to be hot.

I switch between a leather jacket and my Tourmaster gear; there are times the jacket is more uncomfortable thatn the full suit. The suit has adjustable shoulder / arm vents, with a mesh liner. Leather jacket does not. Helmet is vented; having ridden long distances with and without a helmet, I must say I prefer the helmet, laws and safety not withstanding. (I also wear glasses, which adds a hassle factor in using a full-face helmet.) Bugs, windburn, sunburn, small rocks, raindrops are not a problem with the helmet, big problems without. Will put up with the hassle for the added comfort.

Look at some of the new Joe Rocket stuff designed for summer wear; safety and comfort. Other brands have similar offerings.

Yes, you have to spend some money to get good gear, but it doesn't have to be uncomfortable. IMHO good gear is more comforatble than jeans, t-shirt, and no helmet.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Yeah, MRO, I see what you're up to:

"Dad, I'm going for a ride...why is my bike up on crates?"

"Aw, honey, you know how we talked about that chain conversion? And the Wiseco kit? And you wouldn't to ride it with that old stock exhaust system, would you?"

"Hey dad, I was going for a ride, too, but the my bike engine is all over the garage floor!"

"C'mon, baby, you know we talked about advancing the cams a degree or two to improve top end...."
                    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

This makes common sense of a windshield, good protective gear and the operater not running like an idiot.
                      POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
                      THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
                      1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Working...
                      X