Fall colors and rides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall colors and rides

I guess it goes without saying that it is fall color time here in Colorado. Trees began turning almost a month ago; it looks like the peak was this last weekend. However, many pockets of great color will remain for the next two weeks or bettter.

This year I took a few rides over Grand Mesa, McClure Pass, Kebler Pass, and a few local roads. An early snow helped set off the fall colors by adding contrast to the higher elevations.

Fall is the best time to ride!

My camera is an inexpensive point-and-shoot, not well suited to landscape photography, so may of the distance photos are bluish (from elevation, upper range on these rides is 8,900 feet or so up to 10,839) but here is one shot that turned out fairly well:

I know some of you are good photographers; lets see some fall colors!
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

I am heading down to the Smokey Mountains next week. The guy at the motorcycle campground I'm staying at said tthe leaves are changing. So I'll try to get some picks
    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Bump

After seeing Gary Granger's pics... (Absolutely beautiful! by the way)...
      Thought I would bump this post up... things change red and yellow around here... but they're mostly lights... A few trees change color but nothing like what is farther north... east... west (maybe not west)

Any posts with pictures of brightly colored leaves would be appreciated...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Fall Colors

Having grown up in Maine, I am no stranger to the beauty of fall foliage. There is nothing in nature any prettier. Quite often we take a week off in October and go to Maine to visit family and do the tourist thing. It has come to my attention that riding while 'leaf peepin' could be very hazardous to one's health. Let me XSplain...Your riding up a hill, your head is on a swivel, not wanting to miss a single sight. At the top of the hill, the road takes a sharp turn. Your not paying enough attention to the road because you are awestruck by the natural beauty surrounding you, and it could be a disaster if something were to happen while you are out in the boonies, and you have an accident. As much as I love the foliage, I would probably be safer in a cage. I could be too easily distracted if I was on a bike.

Comment

Not much color up here anymore. Just bare branches and piles of dead leaves on the ground.

Just hunkering down waiting for the first snow to slick up the hill out in front of the house and watch all the cars slip sliding and trying to avoid the ditchs.

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Good photographer, sure...

As far as colors go, being colorblind kinda screwed me out of that area of art (That and anything above a class c lisense)

edit (this was supposed to go in the fall colors thread)
            what a maroon!
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

what a maroon!
              and just what shade of maroon would that be?

Someone I know is colorblind, it is frustrating at times for him... Though he had been a forward observer in the Army and said that it was quite useful as he was able to distinguish shapes better without the distraction of color.

Hey! There is a lot to be said for black and white photos too!
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Yeah, the funny thing is...you cannot be a pilot if you are color blind...but if you are, you can distinguish movement much better in the sky...especially if looking downward and having ground as your background.

I have glasses for that.

Best as I can tell, the only time you need to NOT be colorblind to be a pilot is if the tower is going to signal you with a light-gun. I've never even seen one, and they've not been used in any commercial flying in 40 years.

Gotta love the rules.
                CUAgain,
                Daniel Meyer
                Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Almost NoOne is COLORBLIND!

Hey Jesse,

I merged your mispost to where you wanted it!

As for ColorBlind, that is a mis-statement in most instances.

There are 3 different color receptors in the human eye(cones), Red, Green, and Blue(same as the colored phosphers on your TV set)! The other receptors(Rods) are for black/white shade perception. There are three distinct proteins/molecules for each color, and when a person doesn't have the correct genetic code, they cannot synthesize that protein for that type of color, the most common being the red or green. Monochromatopsia=seeing only in black and white is extremely rare!

So...people(usually men because the recessive genes for this are on the X of the XY pair, and so it shows up when there isn't the opposing gene on the Y chromosome) are color deficient, they can perceive shades of blue, and either red or green, but because red and green are complimentary colors, it's hard for them to distinguish between them. It's like you have to have had an Apple and an Orange to compare, but if you've only had Apples, you can't tell much about an Orange!

Hey Daniel,
                  I think one of the other reasons for color vision in pilots is to be able to see the red and green marker lights so you can tell if the plane is coming towards you or away from you at night!! Could be a navigational necessity??

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Tell me about, TC. That is what really pisses me off! I could have gotten a great job (while going to school) driving buses for field trips. I would have gotten payed to go on field trips I already had to go on. I see lots of colors. And as far as the class B license goes, I can see all the signs and differentiate between the red, gree, and yellow lights just fine. It is only very slightly off shades of the same color that really get me. My best example i tell people that respond with the usual "so, you can't see colors?" is when I was in the Air Force, they were moving from one style of dress blues to the another. The new set was just a slightly different shade of blue than the other and I would often get in trouble for mix the two up when I was in a hurry. But, when you take the test for color perception, that is exactly what most of the cards are. STUPID COLORED BUBBLES WITH HIDDEN NUMBER!!
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

since I went and tooted my own horn, I guess I should share a little. Here are a few of my photos. Not really all my fav's, but some of the decent ones (pretty low res files too) Click the yellow play button or right arrow on the upper right.
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

How to add a picture.

Got some great pics from my trip last week. Not sure how to add them.
                        78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                        2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Jeff, you have to upload the picks to an outside site like photobucket.com. Once you do that, photobucket will give you the url to each pic below it. Just copy it, come back here, reply, then hit the IMG button above the text box and paste in the url you copied. On a side note it helps if you down size the pic before you upload it. Anything smaller than 800x600 should be fine fore most viewers.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Pic prep

I usually import the pic to MS Paint. downsize it there, send it back to My Pictures after downsizing, and use the smaller pic to upload to Photodump, or which ever pic hosting site you choose to use.

Comment

That T.C.

Super XS/XJ guru AND super eyeball guru! IS THERE NOTHING THAT CAN STUMP THE MAN!!??

I am going to look for some obscure plankton or psychoanalysis questions just to try!
                              JimBoReeno
                              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
                              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
                              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
                              2000 Indian Chief
                              Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
                              X