Low range torque wrench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low range torque wrench

When it comes to those bolts on the star plate (clutch) you can't be too carefull. Anyway, I was looking around for a torque wrench that was good in the low range (5-15 'lbs). What does everyone else use?
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Hey Jessie,
    There are two types, either the low scale, 0-75 ft/lbs, I found one at Sears, around $25.00 or so, or an inch/pound one.

7 foot pounds would be 84 inch pounds! The one I used was the manual bending bar/needle indicator type. I think they make the "CLICKER" kind for inch pound?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Click Type

Snap-On part number QJR1178. ¼ inch drive is all you should need. 0 to 200 inch lbs. It’s a click type and is also marked in Nm. Avoids confusion. Remember to store your click type torque wrenches at the lowest setting to avoid the internal spring from changing tension. Oh no! I hope I didn’t start another spring debate! They should also be calibrated every couple of years. Snap-On guy should be able to help you out on that.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

And don't skimp on the brand either. The cheap ones are just that cheap. They make better hammer's than torque wrenches!
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

"Oohh... More springs!"

I think they make the "CLICKER" kind for inch pound?
          Yes, T.C., Craftsman does have an inch pound 'clicker', (I's be habin' one o' dem) Mac Tools and Snap-On may be of a slightly higher qualify, but also at a slightly (greatly) higher price.
          We're talkin' inch pounds, here, and the difference between a Snap-On 'true' reading of 25 inch pounds, versus a Craftsman 'possably' reading 26 inch pounds isn't worth discussing.
          If one wants to be a real Torque Dork... one could always buy from Harbor Fright..., which would be the same as just putting a wrench to the bolt and pullin' till you feel like stoppin'.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"Totally lost"

Stopped in at Sears today...only to waltz around the tool aisles, as I had forgotten just what it was that I had wanted to buy.
            Anyhoo... the inch pound torque wrench was, I believe, $64
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
            X