modern hippo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• modern hippo

see a lot of folks talking about the old school hippo hands. ran across these at a decent price and thought i would post em up.

cheeros

hippo

If the quality is there, that's a good price. Vetter Hippo Hands were more than that 25 years ago.

I still have a ratty set in the garage that have been with my through thick and thin...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I have a set and love them but they are different from the ones you posted the link to kf4anm. Those look a little scary in that they seem to be strapped tight to the arm. Warm, but I think I would want to be able to get my hands off, and more importantly on, the bars in a hurry!

SWMBO got me a pair last year from hippohands.com. I like them pretty well. They are more expensive and I need to make a bracket for them cause high speeds push them into the clutch and brake. They are warm though and I really like them better than bulky gloves.
      JimBoReeno
      My Ex!"Half-Breed"
      '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
      '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
      2000 Indian Chief
      Millennium Edition

Comment

staps

i did notice that as well when i first looked at the picture. i was wondering how in the world would you get the other hand stapped in. then after closer examination i deduced the angle of the photo show the handlebar mount side. reading the description it describes a self opening pocket. i considered a pair for the wing. we are going from here in indy to pensacola, fla in nov but i am afraid they wouldn't fit around the stinkin 400$ jm audio cb i just installed. so i bought me a nice middle weight pair of gloves that are water and wind proof then added a pair of silk liner. i hate bulky gloves and that set up felt good. not sure why all glove makers seem to think folks have 7 and 8" fingers.

Comment

I too, was wondering how the second hand gets strapped in or who is supposed to do it for you.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The set that kf4anm look to be the next best thing to the 'ole Hippo-Hands. There a little less bulky and look in and out of. I have two pair of the Hippo Hands that I use on both bikes. The one set is the hard side ones with the opening for the mirror shaft which I use on the Venturer1100. The other set, which I got from the ebay gods last year where still new in unopened packaging. They are the flat side Hippo Hands that velcro down side to go around my throttle cables on my Honda ST1100. Both were the ultimate foul weather gear back in the day, and still the best being nostalgic, specially on the XS. Don't even turn on the grip warmers on the ST as they are too hot to hang on to even with light riding gloves, and don't need them(gloves or grip warmers) with the Hippo Hands, and ride in sub-zero temps quite often. In design and being not bulky, and easy to reach in and out, plus the good price..........looks to be the best fuctional ones I've seen . Can see some thought went into the design..definitely!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
            X