Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks

Just wanted to thank all of you who take your time to manage this site and also all who share their expertise. It has been great. all the good information had alot to do with my recent purchase, an 1980 xs1100 special. This winter I plan on getting it into tiptop shape. Are there some items I might want to purchase now that may become more scarce later on? Cables, brake pads, carb parts ect.? This bike has only 7000 miles but I plan on keeping it for a long time. Also any owners in the Detroit area who want to compare notes/discuss xs1100? Iv'e been away from bikes for 18 years and am lovin riding again. My XS is my mid-life Special! Thanks again.
    Bruce Heckert
    1980 Yamaha XS11SG-sold
    1988 Honda GL 1500
    2001 Suzuki SV650S-sold
    1981 Honda CM200T
    2012 Honda CBR250-sold
    2012 Suzuki Vstrom

Yes, order a factory manual, a Tkat Fork Brace, and Chris Rawson's SS Brake line's, and get a Rick Jemison Fuse Block while you are at it. The items offered by list member's are usually the first thing to go....anybody remember the Tom Dickerson SS brake pistons (for $10 each).
    Gary Granger
    Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Thanks for the word of gratitude Bruce.

As far as collecting parts: Dito to all that Gary said. I also check out ebay from time to time to see if there is anything there of intrest. I have purchased an entire gasket set for less than half the dealer price. (Didnt need it now but you never know). I also bought a new clutch cable, extra set of engine guards, and an still looking around for other things.

Another good source for parts is Merriam Cycle but again, like Gary said, you never know when these resources will disapear. As all of the XS models are now 20+ years old it will get harder to find parts and accesories, but the vintage jap motorcycles still seem to be enjoying a rather large cult following. That will help keep many parts available IMHO.
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
      The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Yes, make a list of what you think you need, then check the bike out! If I bought all the parts I thought I needed I would be
        "busted flat in baton rouge". These are some tough bikes. I'm serious when I say this. Check out the tech tips and look again.

xjguy is gone with the wind

Comment

Working...
        X