Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been a Bad day in Texas

Well,
    The weather service appearlently said something on the news about 30 seconds before it hit.

In Little ol' Odessa, Texas, where a rain storm involves dust flying around for a couple minutes. We got hit pretty hard Last Night.

I watched my bike outside on it's centerstand with it's cover on, topple over, and it about killed me. Had 100 MPH winds, and strong rains that flooded the area. Bike fell over into a pit of water. I had the Gague cluster all apart. Had the Exhaust inside working on it. Broke the turn signals, Engine Gaurds (What's Left) saved my engine from being hurt too bad. Gas tank got a dent in it, not sure if it is leaking yet though. Good chance the Handle Bars, or worse the frame, might be bent. Find more out the end of next week, when I install my newly ordered exhaust system...

P.S. a 600 pound bike is not easy to pick up in 40-50 MPH gusts. (I waited until the wind settled a little bit)

Wish me luck as I price parts Monday...
    Got to fix it before I can ride it

82 XJ11

DUDE..
    Sorry to hear about your bike!!!! I live in east TX and we barely missed the high winds..Some one told me of a way to secure your bike to the ground if you have the right stuff.... Some kind of ring that you can chain the bike to so that it can't blow over..but 100mph wind may be too much even for the secured ring set up.. I was told you can secure it in concrete or screw a mechanism into the ground and chain and boomer it? I am not sure how well it would work but sounded logical. This will not help you present problem but may save ya later...
    Shack
    Shack
    79 xs11 Special "SOLD Aug 26 2003"
    2001 GSF K 1200 Bandit "BIG 12"
    Oct 02
    2001 GSF Naked + Black 1200 Dec 03
    3176 miles

Comment

Sorry to hear about the damage. Recently drove through a dust storm considerably north of you. Phew! Hell of a lot of wind. Check Hell and Gone for that story.

I once was riding in the mountains of Colorado, and was getting pounded by viscious crosswinds . . . at least 75 mph! It was brutal, but I could ride.

Then it got worse. It hurt, but I could still ride. Then I thought, "Why punish myself?" and pulled over and stopped. BIG MISTAKE. Once I got the bike nearly stopped I almost blew over, and could not stay straight enough on the road to accelerate again.

So I spent the next 3 hours, standing beside the road, holding my bike up against the winds.

Good luck with the repairs.
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Well... sorry to hear bout the bike...

Sidestand should provide more stability and the cover didn't help either.

All I'm worried bout is the 20cm of sewage that pops up in my garage/workshop once every 20 years

Hope you fix the bike soon.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I would like to hear more about this Bolt down method. I thought about it as I watched my bike tumble. It got hailed on today. This is really proving to be a bad week for my bike...

82 XJ11

Comment

Hey, if it is of any help, I found a salvage yard here locally that has an xs1100 that he is parting out. Did not have anything I needed but if you want I can give you his number. I live in northwest arkasas.

Comment

Turn signals

This is a good web site for some things try it out
              David

http://www.650central.com/
              http://www.650central.com/ignition.asp

Replaces Front or Rear. Stalk, head, lens and bulb.
              Amber lens and threaded stud are included.
              #25-4116 ..... $21.95 each

Comment

Things are looking up...

In case your bike topples over because of a natural disaster, (Hope it never happens), you might want to know this...

I called my insurance company (State Farm) and talked with them. Natural Disasters such as 100 MPH winds, do not apply to the $250 deductable.

Sooo,
                Everything that got damaged will be appraised, or however they do it, and I will get that. Then all the parts I bought to replace will replenish my empty bank account, or actually my maxed MasterCard.

So, inretrospect, I am goign to come out ahead here if they do not declare it has more damage then what I paid for it...

Find out more on or about Tuesday the 24th.

82 XJ11

Comment

Well friend good luck with the insurance.
                  Just tell them it is a collectors item/antique worth tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention the mental anguish this caused you.
                  Hey you never know...might help.
                  [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                  [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                  The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Mental Anguish? I will have to take some notes...

82 XJ11

Comment

I just got the info back.

They were going to total it. It had $1300 in damage.
                      It was worth $1200 NADA.
                      They asked somebody salvage value on my bike, which was about $350.
                      Here's their offer:
                      $1300 Bike is totaled...
                      $950 and you keep the bike...

Guess which one I picked

I am now getting a MAC 4-2 Chrome Exhaust, New turn signals, and Gauge Cluster rebuild.

I love insurance, but now they dropped Collision, and collateral Who would have thought they would do that.

82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by jgalle

I love insurance, but now they dropped Collision, and collateral Who would have thought they would do that.
                        Hmmm. Ida never guessed it.

Funny how you pay and pay and pay for insurance and when they gotta pay up its 'ok your outa here'
                        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne

Hmmm. Ida never guessed it.

Funny how you pay and pay and pay for insurance and when they gotta pay up its 'ok your outa here'
                          It's ok, I only paid $20 extra bucks for it, for 1 month
                          Looks like I got the better end of the deal on this one...

82 XJ11

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne
                            Just tell them it is a collectors item/antique worth tens of thousands of dollars, not to mention the mental anguish this caused you.
                            Not antique, "vintage." At least in Illinois, antique vehicles must have special tags and may only be driven a restrictive number of miles and conditions.

(625 ILCS 5/3-804)
                            Sec. 3-804. Antique vehicles.
                            (a) The owner of an antique vehicle may register such vehicle for a fee not to exceed $13 for a 2-year antique plate. The application for registration must be accompanied by an affirmation of the owner that such vehicle will be driven on the highway only for the purpose of going to and returning from an antique auto show or an exhibition, or for servicing or demonstration and also affirming that the mechanical condition, physical condition, brakes, lights, glass and appearance of such vehicle is the same or as safe as originally equipped.

Comment

Working...
                            X