countersteering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• countersteering

YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS. Sometime back I read the thread in the Members Lounge on Countersteering. I had my first motorcycle in 1960 and have ridden off and on since and had no idea what countersteering was. Today was the first time I have ridden since I read the thread.

I ride on the twisty up and down roads of SW Texas sometimes called "Little Colorado" were turns get tight and the deer and buzzards play. Today I experienced something new and if you aren't consciously doing this - you are missing a skill that could SAVE YOUR LIFE.

Go to Members Forum and read the Thread on Countersteering posted on 8/25/02 - then go try it. It might save your life.

Thanks to Dragon Rider.

Is it anything like doing a "moonshine turn around"?

Comment

Tex,

I have been on motorcycles since 1961 and I had a similar enlightening after reading the original article. Since then I have exerimented whith the process and found that you really don't need to counter-steer with smaller, lighter, bikes. However, with heavy bikes like the XSs, it is a must. I have an XS650 and it turns much easier than my XS11 - it seems like it weighs about half as much and has less steering angle to the forks. The problem with the XS650 is getting it to go straight.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hey Tex, you will get plenty of 'countersteering' practice during the Hill Country ride at the TeXSive Rally! Im looking forward to practicing myself.
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
        The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Rode 337 from Camp Wood to Leakey today and played with counter steeing. I think I always just threw my hips or like snow skiing dropped my head. all of which works but it is slow.

Countersteering is right now. great for rock fall areas, chipmunks, etc.

Looking foriward to meeting you.

Tex

Comment

Last Thursday I completed the MSF Riders Course for the 3rd time. I take it every 5 years or so and my favorite part of the course is the countersteering lession. I got a little agressive on the Honda 250 Shadows this year and swear that I pulled the front wheel off the ground at one point.

BTW, I didn't realize that I already knew about countersteering until I was "taught" about it 15 years back. IMO, it is probably one of the most important riding techniques a rider should know. Glad you now know it Tex.
            I am a man,
            but I can change,
            if I have to,
            I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X