Just had a really close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had a really close call

Wow, I just about ate the big one a couple minutes ago.

I was pulling away from my mom's house on the chrome queen. Right about when I accelerated to 50mph on the main street I had a lady in an SUV pull a quick U-turn right in front of me. I didn't even have time to react properly...it was all instinct. I was trying to swerve to the right to miss her but just as I had the bike leaned way over the rear locked up and started drifting into the rear bumper. I released the rear brake and the bike snapped back almost high siding me. I don't know how I saved it, but somehow I managed to get far enough over to miss her. My mind was preparing myself to crash once I felt the rear end come out. I just knew that I was going down. And to think that this winter I was pondering the idea of putting stainless steel brake lines on the rear to match the front

The worst part was that I didn't even have the composure to reach for the horn button to flip her off! She had no clue what just happened. For a second I looked back at her and thought about chasing her down to tell her that she almost killed me, but I knew with my quick temper that would just mean trouble.

Sorry, I just had to vent.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

I'm glad to hear that you stayed "up" and nothing got busted up.

My son just started riding, (at the age of 19). I explained to him and his riding buddy, that every new rider starts-out with two things; a bag full of luck, and an empty bag to keep experience in.
    The trick is to fill one bag before the other runs-out.
    I think that I got that one from TKat.

Ride well
    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Man, the thought of all that chrome grinding against the asphault makes me sad. Glad to hear you didn't end up in the back seat of or under that SUV. And, you should have chased her down. People will never know we're out there if we don't make ourselves know!
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

50mph on the main street ???

mro
        bikes do not argue w/cages

I ride in heavy traffic. Takes some of the fun out of it, but ya gota plan for stupid stunts by other drivers. They can't even avoid each other.

Comment

Hey Mac,

Glad to hear you kept the shiny side up!! That back brake locking up during a hard stop is an experience I had also many a year ago on a smaller machine. Was riding up to a stop light, just braking as usual, rear tire hit a spot of oil, and started sliding out behind me to the left, that caused me to pull my foot off the brake as I was trying to keep the bike up with my right foot on the ground, that allowed the tire to roll onto some dry section, grabbed, jerked the rear back around to the right, I put my foot back on the brake, and it apparently rolled thru some oil again, started to slide to the right, again was able to roll onto some good tire and asphalt, and grabbed again, finally jerking the bike back straight up far to the right of the lane out of the oil slick! Didn't go thru the intersection, and didn't go down, but was a fun tank slapper!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
          X