close call

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• close call

Well, in my 20 odd years of riding, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. This morning, on my ride into the gym in pre-dawn darkeness, I had as close a call as I ever want (actually, I don't even want any close calls!). I was doing 70 in the fast lane, keeping a good gap between me and the guy in front. The trouble was, people kept passing on the right and merging into my gap. Well then some pickup did it and just as he got into my lane something happened ahead of himn and suddenly he's all over his brakes and I have no choice but to swerve into the little space to his left. The guy behind me slammed on his brakes and hit him (I think.) He started to veer a little sideways and in quick succession, I hit his front right fender and then bounced off the center median cement strip. By some miracle, I stayed upright.

I am unhurt (and I am about ready to get religion over that), but my beloved bike has two ruined engine guards (and to think that I actually thought about removing them), seriously scraped timing cover , and the alternator and cover are pretty well munched.

I don't know how the rest of the country is, but here in the SF bay area (TKAT country), we have some of the most clueless, but fast and rude drivers, and I think it is getting worse.

Safe, but shaken,
    Tim
    80 XS11 Special

correction

Sorry,

That would be his front LEFT fender.

Still pissed in California,
    Tim
    80 XS11 Special

Comment

Glad you are OK. Do-dads on the bike can be replaced, you can't. I am glad I live in the sticks and do not have to deal with highways and clueless cage commuters.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

tim, glad yer ok, thats the most important thing! was anyone cited for poor driving?? i hate it when other drivers wont let you maintain that safety gap. where the hell do they think they're going??
        - dan
        - thinker57@lycos.com
        - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

Local news last night (Phoenix, AZ.) Motorcycle cop was doing about 35 mph down a road when a Mercedes pulled out of a bank driveway without looking/stopping. Cop tried to lay down the bike, but hit the car on car's left side. Officer died. Photos of the bike show it really crunched, mostly a lump of metal with a few pieces of rubber tires sticking out here and there. Driver of the car was a 36 year old woman, didn't hear about her injuries but would guess they were not major. SWMBO was watching the newscast with me, but didn't say a thing.

A couple weeks ago I was getting ready to ride home after work. Was in the left lane going past a shopping center, 2 lanes each direction. Car pulls out of the shopping mall into the left, not right lane, right in front of me. I was sure thankful for the SS brake line right about then.....

Have been riding since 1974. See some new idiotic behaviour quite often...didn't think there could be that much stupidity in the world.

Glad to hear you were not hurt. Make up a list of parts needed and see if anyone on the list has spares available. Keep riding!
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.
          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Tim, I'm glad you're not hurt, that you were able to take evasive action. Whew.
            Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Tim, we're glad your ok, like Gary said, parts are replaceable (although a challenge sometimes) but your not. Here in Houston I often have the same problem. You try to keep to the 2-3 second rule between you and the cage in front of you and some @$$hole will push in every time. Well you gota "Let The Wookie Win " if you wana live to ride again.
              God Bless You.
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
              The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

thanks

Thanks guys,

I'm still a little shaken up today, probably just mad more than anything. It helps to get the good wishes. When I drive around now in my car, I'm vastly more aware of the thoughtless, rude, and over-agressiveness of drivers around here. The sad thing is, that all the agressive, rude, and over-fast driving around this area won't get you there 10 seconds faster.

Tim
                80 XS11 Special

Comment

close call

Glad to hear you weren't hurt. Amazed to hear you were able to keep the rubber side down in that situation.....way to go!!! Here in Amarillo, we have the same problem....people in too big a hurry to get from Point A to Point B.....and it's only about 15 miles to drive from one side of town to the other. Go figure!!!! All drivers should have to experience riding on a bike. I think it would make them think twice about their own driving.
                  I'm the Person my Parents Warned me about.

Comment

Tim, glad you are okay bud. I just started riding again after a 25 year gap= except for an occasional cruise. I used to ride everywhere every day and now I have antenna own every time.
                    They just don't see us. I am adding side driving lights and getting high decibal horns. The only reason I would want a HD is so I could be loud. Glad you are okay.

xjguy

Comment

Close call

Tim, I'm glad you stayed upright. I was commuting to work two weeks ago and had a good three second gap ahead of me when a B***ch in a Beemer began to ride my tail. I began to tap my brake and slow (I was in the carpool lane). She stayed behind me because she had nowhere to go. When I had the gap opened to about six seconds I accelerated to open a gap behind me. She closed back up again. I repeated the maneuver, but of course she was clueless. I slowed again, this time she crossed over the double/double yellow (risking a $271 fine) passed me in the No. 1 lane and crossed back in to the carpool lane and sped away.

About two minutes later when the carpool lane slowed, I caught up to her. I really hope she had to be someplace important.

Comment

Working...
                      X