Is mine an XS 1100 'Special' (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mine an XS 1100 'Special' (pics)

I'm pretty new to the whole XS scene and was wondering what exactly I have on my hands here. I know some of you could probably tell the model and designation by what the exhaust smells like, so this will be an easy one.

Just bought it with 20,000 miles and I've been really enjoying it. I just wish I had a little more range on the tank (110 miles right now). I payed 1100 bucks for it which seems like a good deal in my book... a dollar per CC ain't bad.

ya got yourself a Special there for shure. Pretty one at that.
    81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
    sticky side down!

Comment

Judging by the plate and background where you at in Cali
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Granting nobody switched the side covers, youve got a beautiful special!
        Bauer
        1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
        Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
        1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
        Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

With the bike positioned in photo #2 (handlebars to the right), look at the tag on the frame where the forks attach.
          The date of manufacture is stamped/printed on there.
          Anything including and after 9/79 would be an 80 model. 9/80 would be an 81, etc. Model year starts in the previous years September.
          I'm guessing you have a 1980.
          You can also post the VIN # on here and someone can tell you what year/model. That info is here on the forum but I don't know where.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The easy way to tell

is by the side covers.

The 81 Special has the "checkmark" on the side, it's the only year they made them with those.

Nice scoot!
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Another tell tale sign that Dave Wales pointed out to me is that the Alt Cover has the black RING around it, again, only made in the 81 models. The rest is definitely an 81SH, GREAT MACHINE!
              Great find, and great price since you've essentially been able to gas and ride! Enjoy!
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Nice scoot. Welcome to world of the XS11. It can be exasperating, frustrating and sometimes downright mean. But, most of the time its great fun and a great time. You have got yourself a land based missle that can hold it own with alot of newer bikes. The cool factor is much higher!! With the seat on that, you might not want to go more than 110 miles at one time.
                When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

That picture was taken in the hills above San Luis Obispo on the central coast. From that point I can see all the way to the ocean and the rock at Morro Bay (for those of you who have ridden up Highway 1). Thanks for the compliments on the bike. When I bought it, it sure didn't look like that... much love and elbow grease went into polishing all that crome and aluminum.

Comment

The black cylinders were stock in 81. The side covers say 81, and the black ring on the left engine cover was only on the 81. I'll bet the alternator cover has the same black ring on it. The ignition module under the seat will have a greenish-yellow, metal tag with the modle number of TID14-04, and part number of 4RO-10.

Comment

Okay, so I went and grabbed the VIN :

4R0 - 000499

...seems like a strange VIN but oh well. And it is an 81.

Comment

That is one SWEET machine!

Great find OOmpa!

She will give you many hours of pleasure and pain!

She definitely looks like an 1981 XS11SH. If you need to fix anything, let us know. We have fixed just about everything that has gone wrong on these beautiful machines.

Good luck and many happy hours in the saddle!

greg
                        Gone but never Forgotten:
                        1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
                        2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
                        2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

Is mine an XS 1100 'Special'
                          .. yes, and a very nice one, good find at a good price also!
                          i hope to see it in person some day at one of these really cool rallies that some of these really cool people throw on this website. so far i have only been to one XS11 rally, but i'm lookin forward to more.

Comment

Your bike looks just like mine did before the resto.

These are fun bikes to work on. They are engineered very well, and with a little care it will last you a life time. Good luck!
                            1979 XS1100 Special (Chrome Queen)

Comment

Working...
                            X