Old info XS1100 VS CBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old info XS1100 VS CBX

Does anyone have any info comparing the xs1100 to the Honda CBX?
    I have been getting blasted (a person at work) that the CBX was like .5 second faster on its worst day. Is this true?

I think the CBX was faster in the 1/4 mile, and top speed. What you need to remember is the XS1100 came out FIRST, and is STILL a better all around bike.
    Tell your friend to try and take a CBX down to 25 MPH in high gear!! I can with my '79 "Daily Ride", and I don't know of any other bike you can do that with. The real fun is if he has a CBX, you then do a "roll on", in high gear, from 40mph, just to give him a little hope. Once he does catch up, you can just smile....
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

i have not long got shut of my minter cbx and i found that the cbx was a lot more revy than the xs1100,but i think the honda was quicker of the mark than the yam but top speed there was not much in it,
      honda spec
      £2500
      max speed 138mph
      standing quarter mile 11.7sec at 117 mph
      fuel consumption hard riding 28.7 mpg
      cruising 35.5 mpg
      fuel tank range 156 miles
      power 105bhp at 9000rpm
      torque 62lb/ft

yam spec
      max speed 122mph
      ful consumption overall 38 mpg
      power 95bhp at 8200 rpm
      i hope this helps you a bit and you will find that some people have got more than 122 mph out of there xs1100.

Comment

Do a "search" on XS vs CBX. I did get into a rollon with a factory dressed CBX a few years ago. I did pull 'em in 5th. The CBX was a cool bike but way to many carbs and valves to deal with. You don't see many of them on the road now. I don't think they ever recieved the following the XS11 has. Says something for survival of the fittest.

As far as being a 1/2 second faster, tell em to put up or shut up.

"The bull**** stops when the green flag drops"
        Last edited by webbcraft2150; 08-23-2006, 04:11 PM.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

it aint a half second faster it might be 2 tenths faster if it is lucky if i remeber correctly the xs11 was the fastest production bike in 78-79
          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Well, advertising on the side... CBX was faster. But I think it had less torque, more HP and way more expencive. Didnt handle as well. A friend has one... looks nice. Lost a bet to him.... CBX 1000 could be bought in 1978, 1979 was the model year. So XS11 was probbably the fastest production bike in 1977. OK, mass production bike... there were faster production bikes even before that. Check out www.bikez.com
            Now this friend of mine has to replace his valve oil seals (24 of em), hone and get new rings for 6 cyls/pistons,.... not a cheap job. But it looks good tho...

LP
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I didn't think the XS was made in '77????
              '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

The XS was a '78 model, first delivery was October '77. My first was serial number 254....
                The CBX was a '79 model, first out in October '78 in the States. Honda could NOT let Yamaha hold the 1/4 mile record. The XS wa also MUCH better handling than the Honda Gold Pig/Wing..
                I used to ride with a large group in '78 and '79, and I would get the same milage as the gold wings, without needing to down shift for the slow corners. If one of the Honda riders got frisky, he learned VERY QUICKLY why the XS was the king.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

.. Jessy, look at the model plate on your steering neck, it likely says something about 9/80, it is called an 81.
                  if the bike was made after june it is considered next years model.
                  XS11 was made for production after june of 77

Comment

XS vs CBX

The first XS appeared as a 1000 cc protoype model in mid 77 and hit the shores of the US as a full on 1100 78 model in the fall of 77.The motor was based off the 750-850 triples of that era and the pistons from an Eleven and a 850 triple are exactly alike except for a slight difference in weight for balancing purposes.The first CBX appeared in the US in late 78 and a couple of the protypes ran 11.40's but the production one that Cycle magazine tested ran 11.55 @117.9 with Mark Homchick as the pilot.The 78 CBX had 103 horses advertised at the flywheel and 85 at the rear tire according to the Kerker dyno.The 79 CBX appeared with a different timing advancer and smaller cam's and 98 advertised hp and again was tested by Cycle magazine with Homchick aboard and it ran 12.16 @111.11.On the same day they tested an XS Special and it ran 11.93 @113.63.The CBX got a lot slower in 80 and 81 as Honda added a fairing and turned it into a baby wing.The CBX was also very sensitive to heat because of the fact the center cylinders ran hot and on a hot summer day the power would fall off dramatically and on a dyno a 20 degree change in ambient temperuture would drop the power down to 68-70.In mid 79 the two stage timing advancer for the CBX had cleared the EPA and the dealers offered to install them for labor only but few got the change and the change with the small cam's didn't help much anyway.Honda dropped the power supposedly because Europe had a 100 hp edict in effect in 79. Basically what the XS would do to a CBX in 50 mile an hour roll on's was practically criminal and all the old guy's that remember them I'm sure will agree and that the CBX was hyped to the Max and the first batch cut some big numbers but the ones you saw rolling down the highway did not live up to their billing.If you have ever raced one on a good running XS you know what I mean.In 80 Susuki rolled out their 4 valve 1100 which turned 11.18 @119.84 and the fat lady sang for them all.
                    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Great history lesson, thanXS Dan
                      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Back when 6-hour production races were common I saw the XS11 versus CBX on the track a few times, the XS pulled out of corners like nothing else and ate the poor CBX and most others usually, the slicker bikes went round them both on hairpin bends, the ones I saw were neck and neck down the straights for speed. The riders were the difference.

Comment

Thank you to everybody.

I never thought much of the CBX myself. I thought I remembered there to be a certain vintage that was pretty fast. Could you imagine riding one of those pigs.

I have 66000 on the XS I have in the basement (the one I bought after it had been repossessed in ....... oh....... here I go dating myself...........1979). The bike has been neglected and ignored for some time now. I have a 10 and 6 year old that have been keeping me busy. The ten year old is bugging me to ride so I would guess a winters worth of TLC and old girl should be set to go.

Thanks again to all of you knowledgeable people.

Comment

Good choice, build it, ride it, love it.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I just wanted to revive this thread after seeing the Honda thread. I would love to own a CBX, always lover them. But, my ultimate goal is the GS1100ES.
                              1979 XS1100F
                              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X