It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!

Just went for the first shake-down cruise, ! Man, was that GREAT! Been chasing some carb gremlins, think I just about got them burgers out-a-there! Will update later, headin' back out to do check-over. And yea, another ride will be in order!
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

more tweaking

Well, put 25-30 miles on 'er. Some town, some highway. Seems I'm runnin a bit rich off idle. If aggressive, does fine moderate seems like I've got that dreaded hit/miss I know, just go aggressive and don't worry about it!
    Thinking this might be needle jet related? Not sure how far idle mix. would effect 1500-2500 rpm range. Haven't done the plug check yet, on the list after baby shower for daughter tommorrow.
    Any way here's a-little input to get those juices flowing in those guru minds out there----------------------
    '80 LG/ stock carbs
    4/1 jardene
    K+N
    stock pilots
    120 mains
    1 1/2 turn out mix.
    Float---22 mm
    Huh, just had a thought May need to re-check sync. Had a goober slip in there and hang a float. Done the next best thing any ace would do--------- drain carbs, flush, and yea---heal/palm on the side
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Float---22 mm

Could try raising it.
      Think mine set at 23mm and all stock jetting.

Fun......ain't it

mro

Comment

Oh Yea, Nuttin' Better
        "Elvira"
        '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Well, That Didn't Take Long

Still loading up in town. Decided to take break from all the women folk, go for a ride Hit one of the main streets through town to bro.-in-laws house. I just HAD to clean it out, there he was!!!!!! Seen him, looked at spedo-------55/60 mph in a 30 Just ordered tags yesterday, ins. today----no papers on me!!!!!!!! Make it even more purcarious, did't even have billfold!!!!!! After he ran check on me, All was OK-- Just WARNING and some advise-------If you need to goose it, head out of town -----------I felt like pushing my luck just a-bit, Told him just got it up and runnin, changed speedo-----What Did You Clock Me At????//////// The response I got was--------I DON'T WANT TO SAY, WROTE TICKETS FOR LESS
          He did offer for me to follow at 30 mph to gauge mine, yea I installed '79/ 160 mph on it. Yea it's fairlly accurate!!!
          Thank goodness it was city cop. Had it been State-----I might not been on here for awhile!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          "Elvira"
          '80 XS1100LG

Comment

California moto, anything for a buck

Only warning we get is to pay on time or else!
            Last ticket I got, left tail light on van out and month sticker on plate missing. Was not speeding and current tags/license etc..

Cops out here will write you up for anything they can. City/County/State just want your money anyway they can get it! Out on the “LEFT” coast here we have government, by the government, for the government, screw the citizens

Figure I got a couple years stuck here until my youngest moves out.

mro

Comment

Finally Got It!!!! Pics/ I hope?

OK, Well guys here it is--------------------------
              1) Frame replaced! ( saved someone's life!)
              2) tranny repaired/ 1st gear with 2nd gear mod.
              3) adj. valves, set timming chain--------tensioner repair
              4) replaced int. boots
              5) carb rebuild-------still got some tweaking to do----as per local yokels let me know!
              6) replaced wheel bearings/ front & rear
              7) new grips, lever boots
              8) complete front & rear brake flush & clean
              9) batt. tray---------thanks andreas!
              10) 4/1 jardene---------thanks glarusguy!
              11) lots & lots cleaning, painting & searching for all those small pieces!!
              Thanks to all, sorry for all the frustration on the pics! Guess I would rather be in the garage with wrench in hand instead of at the PC. This project woundn't have been possible without this website though
              Thanks, Jim
              Last edited by 80mdnt11; 08-21-2006, 11:18 AM.
              "Elvira"
              '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Picture date?????????

Don't know why pic. date is Jan. '05? I DID take pic. this weekend! Yesterday as a matter of fact. Y'all shouldn't be suprised anyway, 80mdnt11 with something electronic-------oh boy, wonder how this will turn out! And no, we don't have GREEN snow in S.E. ILL.
                "Elvira"
                '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Man... That's clean!
                  Nice job.
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

That's beautiful.
                    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                    07 V-star 1100
                    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Good Wooking !!!!!!

That's a great looking bike

Don't remember my LG's side covers looking like that though

mro
                      btw
                      side covers cool too!

Comment

side covers

Yea, not exactly the look I was after. PO painted the 1100 on side covers and put mid. sp. badges on the tank!! I found some Yamaha badges off good ol' e-bay, refinished and remove mid. sp. off tank & refinish also. Had to work with what I had, considering PO had bondoed over tank badge mounts for smooth look I guess?
                        Good ol' 3-M tape for tank badges but too wide to use on mid. sp. badges, since he cut off mounting tits! I debated weather or not to put them on-----I ended up using 3-M glue. If I decide to get back to original look ( what I wanted anyway!) I will definatly be in the market for both side covers & badges!
                        Oh, & by the way mro. The fork emblem/badge was about a two week search! Missed out on two parts bikes down in Tenn., one of them '80 mid. sp. . Had to track down the buyer and the wheelin' & dealin' began! Worked out good for him, considering he only gave 60.00 for both!
                        The look will be OK for me for now. Feels great to be ridin' again!
                        Thanks!
                        Last edited by 80mdnt11; 08-22-2006, 08:07 AM.
                        "Elvira"
                        '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Why would you want to change it?
                          Hell if you want a bike to put back to stock, trade with me.
                          I'll swap bikes with you. Wives too if you think it'll help.
                          79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                          07 V-star 1100
                          Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Comment

Na, that's OK. Thanks anyway Bud, think I'll keep both for now anyway.? However there is one thing I'm looking for------- I work 2nd shift, coming home last night my Hi/Low switch-knob broke off. 3 mile sec. of highway, running 60-------pitch black and felt it hit my knee! No chance findin' that burger!
                            So if anyone out there has left control they want to sell, send me PM, or e-mail----- jjracing_140@hotmail.com
                            Thanks, Thought I would ask on here before going e-bay
                            "Elvira"
                            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Working...
                            X